Frequently Asked Questions

Students with disabilities should contact the Academic Support Coordinator as soon as possible. This will ensure that the student has enough time to gather adequate documentation of his/her disability. Accommodations cannot be implemented unless the student has finished the intake process. All students are encouraged to contact the Academic Support Coordinator at least 2 months prior to the start of the semester that they plan to enroll. And all returning students who have approved accommodations are required to contact the coordinator to establish accommodations each semester.

There are many differences.  For example, in college the student is responsible for self-identifying and applying for accommodations.  Please refer to the “High School vs. College” table below to briefly learn more about the differences of receiving accommodations between high school and college.

Yes, you MUST complete and submit an "Application for Accommodations" form as well as the "Medical Disability Documentation" form and/or the "Mental Health Disability Documentation" form completed by a licensed medical provider. You may submit a copy of your IEP or 504 Plan, but it is not required and is not sufficient documentation by itself.

Students should not assume that accommodations provided in high school will also be given in college. Also, in high school some IEP’s contained modifications as well as accommodations.  College course expectations and objectives differ from that of high school and therefore, accommodations implemented may differ in college.  The college provides reasonable accommodations and does not modify course content or objectives; accommodations are provided to ensure equal access.

Examples of possible classroom accommodations are: extended time on exams and quizzes, quiet room for testing, use of a digital recorder in class, and peer note-taker in class. Accommodations can vary based upon needs and type of disability.

If you feel you have a disability, it is best to have an evaluation during your junior/senior year of high school. If you have graduated or the high school will not provide the re-evaluation, you should meet with a qualified professional in your local area. Costs incurred for obtaining appropriate documentation are the responsibility of the student and are not provided by the college.

If you have questions, you may want to talk to your insurance (your private insurance MAY cover it), and a licensed medical doctor/psychologist/psychiatrist who can do the testing (or knows someone who can).


  • Education is a RIGHT and must be provided in an appropriate environment to ALL individuals.
  • School district is responsible to identify a student's disability.
  • School district provides free testing, evaluation and transportation to program.
  • School district develops the Individualized Education Plans (IEP) to define educational services.
  • Through the school district the IEP Team determines all IEP supports and services that will be provided.
  • Fundamental alteration of programs and curricula are required.
  • Personal services for medical or physical disability are required.


  • Education is NOT a RIGHT. Students must meet certain admissions criteria defined under ADA as "otherwise qualified."
  • Students must SELF-IDENTIFY with The Center for Accessibility and Resource for Excellence.
  • Student must provide current and appropriate documentation. The student is responsible for all costs related to evaluation of the disability.
  • NO IEP is developed in college, as there is no special education.
  • The student is responsible to activate the approved services at the start of each semester.
  • No fundamental alterations are required.
  • No personal services are required.