Welcome to CULearn’s Writing Center
The Writing Center is available to support all Concordia University Chicago undergraduate and graduate students. We offer in-person, online, and over-the-phone writing support in our dedicated Writing Center located within CULearn, CC248. All writing appointments can be made using the Navigate App.
Book an appointment
Students can book an appointment in-person or via Zoom via Navigate. Select 'Get Assistance' and then 'CULearn'. For the type of assistance you can then select 'Writing Support' or 'Graduate Writing Support'.
Students can also email their papers to firstname.lastname@example.org.It may take up to 72 hours to get the feedback to you.
Types of Support
CULearn’s Writing Center offers students support across the writing process with peer writing tutors who assist students with:
- Generating and Organizing Ideas
- Editing and Revising
- In-text Citations- APA, MLA, Chicago Style
- Reference Citations-APA, MLA, Chicago Style
Additional resources can be utilized via Klinck Memorial Library's libguides.
- We dialog with students to help them focus and fulfill their writing goals.
- We discuss writing assignments with students to help them understand and focus their work.
- We are a sounding board for students’ work. We provide constructive feedback on the student’s writing looking at the writing process, as well as the content, structure, and style.
- We work with a range of writing strategies to help students with the writing process.
- Some of the strategies include;
- Graphic Organizers
- Mapping or Clustering
- We work with students to critically examine their own writing and begin to identify its strengths and weaknesses. Working with them to use this assessment to improve their drafts.
- We model and review appropriate writing strategies with students.
- We work on one writing assignment per session.
- We will work with a student on the same assignment for multiple appointments as long as the student continues to make revisions from their tutoring sessions.
- We support and encourage students and their efforts.
- We adapt our approach to meet the student’s needs.
- We celebrate writing across the curriculum.
- We are not your professor, as such we cannot fully explain assignments on their behalf. If you are unsure, please reach out to your professor prior to your writing appointment.
- We do not write for you, we work with you, modeling and explaining.
- We ask you questions and offer suggestions and assistance.
- We can help model approaches to writing an essay, thesis, paragraph, and citations.
- We do not “correct” your paper for you. We can model revisions and editing for you in part of your writing, so you to continue the process on the balance of your writing
- We do not edit or revise for you, we help provide tools and guidance for you to make the corrections and revisions yourself.
- Student work cannot be dropped off for “proofreading”. The Writing Center is an interactive collaborative support where students take a prominent role in the process.
- Students may submit a paper by email and receive suggestions from a tutor.
- We cannot predict or guarantee any grade for student writing assignments. Your professors determine all grading.
- We are not faculty, and will not interfere with student-instructor relationships.