- New University Chaplain: We welcomed Rev. Simeon Raddatz as University Chaplain in October, and he has seamlessly stepped into the role of overseeing campus worship; providing pastoral care and counseling; facilitating spiritual life activities; and serving as Dean of the Chapel and director of the pre-seminary program. Pastor Raddatz BA ’13 and his wife Lauren BA ’14 are CUC alumni, so it has been a particular blessing to have them back on campus!
- Opening of Nursing Lab: With the launch of the University’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program, we also cut the ribbon on a brand-new Nursing Simulation Center. This state-of-the-art facility features a skills attainment lab, multispecialty intensive care spaces, a health assessment learning center and a simulated home environment. CUC’s nursing students will graduate prepared to assume the role of the registered nurse, ready to become future nurse leaders.
- Revamped Bookstore: Over the summer, Concordia-Chicago transitioned to a new bookstore operator, Slingshot. For the past few months, they’ve been enhancing the student and faculty experience with automated course material selection, dorm room textbook delivery and new CUC merch at affordable price points. A more thorough store remodel is planned for 2024.
- More First-Gen Students: This academic year, the University’s traditional undergraduate student body is made up of 54% first-generation students, its highest-ever percentage. Our Trailblazers, as they are called, are those who are the first in their family to attend college. The Trailblazer program serves as a tool to empower first-generation students and help them transition from high school to college, and provide a welcoming community.
- 100 Years of Choral Music: With the spring 2023 tour of Kapelle, the University celebrated a century of concert choral music. As Jonathan Kohrs BA ’85, MCM ’93 wrote in the Forester, “We are grateful that over the last century thousands of people have experienced the music sung in concert by thousands of dedicated students, led by their respective directors, each vibrant and inspiring in their own ways. We count it a privilege to be a part of this long tradition and look forward to its continuance at Concordia-Chicago.”
We’ve kept our list short, but there were so many more wonderful moments at Concordia-Chicago in 2023. During this season of reflection, we give thanks to God for those milestones as we look forward to a blessed 2024, standing tall for truth, freedom and vocation.