- On Campus
- 18 Credit Hours
- 18 Months (No summer courses)
Spring 2024 Application Due | Classes start Jan. 8, 2024
This program is based on the International Literacy Association (ILA) and the Illinois Reading standards and is designed to help prepare Illinois educators who want to specialize as a Reading Teacher.
Upon successful completion of the required courses and the Illinois #177 Reading Teacher Content Test, candidates are eligible for the Illinois Reading Teacher Subsequent Endorsement, enabling them to work as a reading teacher in early childhood, elementary, middle, and/or secondary Illinois school settings.
To be eligible for the Illinois Reading Teacher Subsequent Endorsement, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a valid Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) prior to entering program
- Passage of the Illinois Reading Teacher Content Test (#177)
This program will enable candidates to:
- Strengthen their foundational knowledge of reading and writing processes
- Apply varied instructional practices, methods and curriculum materials to literacy instruction
- Use assessment to plan and evaluate effective reading instruction
- Create literate environments that foster literacy instruction
- Recognize that students come first
- View professional development in reading as a career‐long effort