News & Events
Faculty Pursuits 2015
Hradil, Vincent was elected Illinois Representative to MACTLAC, the Midwestern Association of Chemistry Teachers in Liberal Arts Colleges at the annual meeting at Alverno College in Milwaukee last month. The term is for 3 years. More details about the association here: http://campus.albion.edu/mactlac/
Faculty Pursuits 2014
Brown, Charles P. Article, “A Sense of Belonging in Choir for Middle School Boys,” Cross Accent article (Association of Lutheran Church Musicians), published March 2014.
Govindaswamy, Victor "Mathematical Modeling of the RED-RWM Active Queue Management Scheme" Journal of Wireless Networking and Communications (Volume 4, Number 3, July 2014).
Hollywood, Kathryn, Blaess, Donna, Santin, Claudia(2014). A Challenge for Higher Education : Preparing Competent Global Leaders. Management Education: An International Journal, Volume 14, Issue 3, pp 13-22.
Kwon, S., Wardrip, P., Gomez, L. (2014) Co-design of interdisciplinary projects as a mechanism for school capacity growth. Improving Schools, 17, 54-71.
Manning, L., Radina, M. (2014). Exploring the spiritual capital of mothers of breast cancer survivors: A qualitative analysis. The Journal of Religion, Spirituality, and Aging (Forthcoming).
Manning, L., Carr, D., Kail-Lennox, B. (2014). Do Higher Levels of Resilience Buffer the Deleterious Impact of Chronic Illness on Disability in Later Life? The Gerontologist [first published online July 25, 2014 doi:10.1093/geront/ gnu068].
Miskovic, Maja, Adding fuel to the fire: Life and meaning of data in a principal’s world (w/ D.S. Angelaccio). Journal of Inquiry and Action in Education. (forthcoming)
Miskovic, Maja, Discourse and the containment of disability in higher education: An institutional analysis (w/ S.L. Gabel). Disability and Society, 29(7), 1145-1158.
Miskovic, Maja, Inclusion, integration or perpetual exclusion? A critical examination of the Decade of Roma Inclusion (2005-2015) (w/ S. Curcic, S. Plaut, & C. Ceobanu). European Educational Research Journal, 13(3), 257-267.
Miskovic, Maja, ‘What Can Inclusive Education Do For You? The Case of European Roma’ (w/ S. Curcic), Special Educational Needs and Inclusive Practices conference, University of Bergamo, Italy, October 2014.
Miskovic, Maja, ‘Promises and pitfalls of inclusive education: The case of Eastern European Roma,’ 95th annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, April 2014.
Morgenthaler, S.,K., Keiser, J.B., & Larson, M.L. (2014). Nurturing the Infant Soul: The Importance of Community and Memories in the Spiritual Formation of Young Children. Christian Education Journal, 11(2), 244-258.
Morgenthaler, S.,K., Keiser, J.B., & Larson, M.L. (2014). Engaging, Expressive and Experience-Based Prayer Models with Children. In L. Tolbert (Ed.), Exploring and Engaging Spirituality for Today’s Children: A Holistic Approach (pp. 3-13). Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock Publishers.
Morgenthaler, S., Jeffrey B. Keiser, & Mimi L. Larson. Nurturing the Soul of the Child: The Importance of Community, Memories, and Emergent Teaching/Learning in the Cognitive and Spiritual Formation of Young Children. 2014 National Association for the Education of Young Children Conference, Dallas TX. November 7, 2014. (Accepted to present).
Rajan, R.S. (2014). From Broadway to backpacks: The experiences of a musical theater performer and her first-grade students. Voices of Practitioners.
Rajan, R.S. (2014). Shared sounds: Making musical instruments with children. Teaching Young Children.
Rajan, R.S. (2014). Tapping into technology: Experiencing music in a child’s digital world. General Music Today. DOI: 10.1177/1048371314544169.
Rajan, R.S. (2014). Supporting conflict resolution through structured dramatic play. Child Care Exchange, 68-71.
Ricketts, Ursula P. (Forthcoming). “Gifted Learners Respond to Intervention.” (Article) OSEA Journal.
David Rogner has compiled and edited Dawnlight Breaks: The Hymn Texts and Translations of F. Samuel Janzow. The book will be published in October through Concordia’s Center for Church Music and Lutheran University Press. F. Samuel Janzow was Professor of English at Concordia from 1954 to 1980 and was the founder of Motif. Many of his translations of German hymns appeared in Lutheran Worship (1982), for which he also served on the Hymn Text Committee.
Santin, C. (2014). “Creating a culture of innovation: Diversity and inclusion as drivers.” Journal of Business Leadership Today, 5(9), 1-14.
Schilling, Craig (2014). “Educational Leadership in Action: A Casebook for Aspiring Leaders.” Finished a case study of aspiring administrators and how they handle situations. Taylor & Francis.
Schilling, Craig (forthcoming). “Managing the Business of Autonomous Schools: Leadership & Resource Management for Administrators.”
Steinmann, A. E. “What Did David Understand about the Promises in the Davidic Covenant?,” Bibliotheca Sacra 171 ( 2014): 19–29.
Steinmann, A. E. “The Seven Deadly Sins of Proverbs 6:16–19” on“Issues, Etc.” KFUO, St. Louis, August 14, 2014.
Steinmann, Andrew E. (2014).(Book Review) Wisdom’s Wonder: Character, Creation, and Criteria in the Bible’s Wisdom Literature, by William Brown. The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 57, 806-807.
Steinmann, A (Jan-Mar 2014). “What Did David Understand about the Promises in the Davidic Covenant?” Bibliotheca Sacra (Vol 171, pp. 19-29).
Beyne, S. and Schilling C. (2014, Spring) “On the Right Track: Aligning HR and Business Through Position Control Software.” Illinois Association of School Business Official's 'Update" magazine.
Brandon, Katherine - “Gospel Influenced Discipline” - To develop understanding about using the Gospel in disciplinary practice to strengthen faith & relationships. Southern & Central Illinois Teachers Convention held on October 9, 2014, Collinsville, IL.
Brandon, Katherine -"Small World: Magnification in the Classroom” - Exploration of the use of magnification tools, from hand lenses to digital microscopes, for science education in the classroom. Southern & Central Illinois Teachers Convention held on October 9, 2014, Collinsville, IL.
Brandon, Katherine -"Shine with Astronomy Day” – Astronomy content activates for your school.Southern & Central Illinois Teachers Convention held on October 9, 2014, Collinsville, IL.
Brandon, Kevin - "Leading Modern Schools” – Sharing an Ancient Faith – Leaders shape life together in Lutheran Schools by building faith filled communities with commitments to worship, praise, prayer, and care for each other while preparing children for God pleasing vocations.Southern & Central Illinois Teachers Convention held on October 9, 2014, Collinsville, IL.
Hauser, Christian. Edugagement. 2014 Scholarship of Pedagogy Symposium, Associated Colleges of the Chicago Area, Elmhurst College, Elmhurst, Illinois. November 1, 2014. Conference Presentation.
Huss, Nikkole. Material Matters, National Fiber Exhibit, juried by Kraig Rasmussen-Joan Livingstone, Union Street Gallery, Chicago Heights, IL. September 24-October 25, 2014.
Huss, Nikkole. Explosive Impressions, Tall Grass Arts Association, Park Forest, IL. July 25-September 21, 2014.
Huss, Nikkole. Gallery 2015 Community Art Exhibition, DeCaprio Gallery, Palos Hills, IL. May 28-July 30, 2014.
Huss, Nikkole. Near and Far, Two person Exhibition with Dick Schmidt, curated by Claudia Craemer, Tall Grass Arts Association, Park Forest, IL. March 14-May 10, 2014.
Huss, Nikkole. Fused, curated by Jessica Segal, Union Street Gallery, Chicago Heights, IL. January 15-February 8, 2014.
Rajan, R.S. (2014). Program Evaluation: Stages Education Engagement Pilot Program. Chicago Humanities Festival, Chicago, IL.
Schuth, S. “Make it the First Place You Look: Knowledge Management in Higher Education” Presentation at the Blackboard World 2014 conference (July 15-17) , Las Vegas. Prof. Schuth also served as a panelist for “Explore
instructional content and the LMS (Learning Management System”.
Brown, Charles P. Conducted the Adult Choir for the Hymn Festival at the LCMS Institute on Liturgy, Preaching, and Church Music, Seward, NE, July 2014.
Brown, Charles P. Presented a seminar in Choral Conducting, “It’s Not Only What You Do; It’s What You Get Them to Do,” LCMS Institute on Liturgy, Preaching, and Church Music, Seward, NE, July 2014.
Brown, Charles P. Presentation, “Hitting the Moving Bull’s Eye: Singing through the Change.” Lutheran Summer Music Academy, Decorah, IA, July, 2014 and 2013.
Professor Astrida Cirulis lead a geometry lesson in English and Latvian in Smiltene, Latvia as part of the regional bilingual education initiative. The lesson was observed by local mathematics and English language teachers and followed by discussion.
Curtin, Kathleen - (2014)”Catholic Life-Writing in Early Modern England: St. Augustine, Teresa of Avila, & Toby Matthew.” Presented her paper at a UVa-Wise Medieval-Renaissance Conference Sept. 25-27.
Curtin, Kathleen & Alannah Hernandez - (2014) “Identification & Difference in John Bunyan’s Reading of Reformation History.” Panel discussion at the Southern Modern Language Association Conference on gothic in Latin American Literature in October.
Fischer, Richard R. (2014). “The Role of Music In Christian Education.” Presented the keynote address at the 4th Lutheran Education Association in Southern Africa in August 2014.
Kwon, S. (2014). Technology tools for cultivating a classroom community of young readers and writers. [Conference Presentation.] Concordia University Chicago Reading Conference. September 13, 2014. River Forest, Illinois.
Jandris, T. “Thriving, not Surviving in a Tuition-Dependent Environment.” Keynote address at Midwestern
Independent Colleges Innovation Summit. Oct. 17. 2014. Arlington Heights, IL.
Shirley K. Morgenthaler. Young Children and Prayer. Early Childhood Conference, Concordia University, River Forest, IL. August 8, 2014.
Pate, Ardelle, an Associate Professor in the Department of Educational Technology, presented a paper entitled, “We read to know: Problem-based learning and the social media” on Saturday, September 13, 2014, at the 39th Reading Conference at Concordia University Chicago. The theme of the conference was “Planting the Seeds of Global Literacy.”
Pate, Ardelle, an Associate Professor in the Department of Educational Technology, will be presenting a paper entitled, “The Challenge of the Online Egalitarian Environment and the need for Lutheran Identity” on October 4, 2014 at Concordia College Alabama.
Pate, Ardelle. Problem-based learning OERs, and creation of an open-textbook wiki, 2014 ACCA Scholarship of Pedagogy Symposium, Elmhurst College, Elmhurst, IL November 2, 2014. Presentation.
Santin, C. presented “A Mandate for Change for Innovation in Higher Education” (with D. Blaess and K. Hollywood). The Fourteenth (2014) International Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations at the Said Business School at the University of Oxford.
Santin, C. presented “Maximizing Personnel using Coaching Techniques” (with K. Hollywood and D. Blaess). The Fourteenth ( 2014) International Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations at the Said Business School at the University of Oxford.
Settje, David. Religion and Foreign Relations during the Cold War, ( Panel Chair at the Society for the Historians of American Foreign Relations Annual Conference, Summer 2014).
Schilling, Craig (2015). Keynote speaker at EduTECH discussing strategic opportunities technology offers for improving learning outcomes in the digital age., June in Brisbane, Australia.
Owolabi, E (2014). “Assessment Journey of a Mid-size Liberal Arts Institution”. Presented at the at the Fourth Annual AALHE Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Owolabi, E (2014). “Convergence of Institutional Research and Assessment in an Era of Data-Driven Decision Making.” Presented at the at the 2014 Higher Learning Commission (HLC) Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois.
Pederson, Andrew (2014). “The Uncommon Core: Creative Writing, Composition, & the English Classroom.” Presented at the Chicagoland Lutheran Education Foundation’s Annual Networking Conference at Walther Lutheran High School, Melrose Park, IL, and Southwestern WI/Northern IL Lutheran Teachers Pre-service Workshop at Rockford Lutheran High School, Rockford, IL in August.
Dr. Kevin Brandon presenting a paper with co-authors entitled Collaborating to Connect Evidence-Based Assessment from Preservice to Inservice. At the Association of Teacher Educators meeting in February 2014.
Bishop, D. “Parental Conflict Impact on the Youth” presentation to the DuPage Counselor Countywide Institute Day February, 28 2014.
Owolabi, E. “Convergence of Institutional Research and Assessment in an Era of Data-Driven Decision Making” presentation to the Higher Learning Commission Annual Conference, Chicago in April 2014.
Ross, B. “The Mind/Body Connection: Why do I Feel and Behave the Way I Do?” presentation at a public forum at St. John's Lutheran Church in Elgin, IL in March 2014.
Brenda Graham has been selected as one of the regional leaders for the Harvard University People to People Leadership in Action Ambassador Summit Programs that will be held in Boston, MA during summer, 2015. The Leadership in Action Summit program at Harvard University provides leadership development opportunities for students from more than 140 countries in grades 5–12 each summer. During this program, students participate in an exclusive leadership curriculum and learn to LEAP (Lead, Engage, Act, and Plan) into their future. Importantly, they acquire leadership qualities that assist them to serve the greater good.
Aimee Krall-Lanoue was accepted to the Dartmouth Summer Seminar in Research in Composition & Rhetoric. Dr. Krall-Lanoue presented “A Willing Student: The Labor & Value in Student Writing.” Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire.
Andrew Pederson received a Summer Research Grant from Concordia University Chicago to con-duct research for their next collaboration, “Yeats Gonne Wilde,” a comedy about a meeting between W.B. Yeats & Oscar Wilde, and the fight for the artistic soul of Ireland.
Michelle Morkert is the recipient of a Fulbright Fellowship Award. She is teaching in Croatia this fall semester to bring her work to the American Studies department at the University of Zadar.
Pierros, W. served as an Advanced Placement Exam Reader for the Comparative Government and Politics AP test administered through The College Board and the Educational Testing Service. Prof. Pierros was selected for International Election Observer Training in Venice, Italy, sponsored by a consortium of over 40 European
universities and the Italian, Czech, and Spanish Ministries of Foreign Affairs.
Dr. Elizabeth Owolabi has been selected to serve as a Peer Reviewer for the Higher Learning Commission A Commission of the North Central Association and was appointed to serve on the Newsletter Committee of the Illinois Association for Institutional Re-search.
Dr. Elizabeth Owolabi received the Association for Institutional Research (AIR) 2014 Julia M. Duckwall Scholarship. This scholarship has a potential for a positive impact on Dr. Owolabi ’s professional development and will contribute to our institution and the larger field of Institutional Research. The funding is for her to participate in the 2014 AIR Annual Forum from May 26-30 in Orlando, Florida.
The Illinois ASBO Board of Directors selected Dr. Craig Schilling as the recipient of the Ronald E. Everett Distinguished Service Award.
On March 14, 2014 Dr. Heather Harder (GIP, Associate Professor in Reading and Literacy) was presented the Outstanding College Reading Educator of the Year Award by the Illinois Reading Council. The award was presented at the Illinois Reading Council Annual Conference held in Springfield, Illinois.
Dr. Pamela Konkol received an award for meritorious service from Biographical and Documentary Research Special Interest Group of the American Educational Research Association at the annual convention, April 3-7, Philadelphia.
Jandris, Thomas P. Member of the Academy of Human Resources Development and SIG chair has been appointed to the “Jury of Scholars.” One of the main responsibilities of this group is to review scholarly submissions from all over the world regarding Human Resources Development research and practices.
Settje, David. National Collegiate Honors Council, Fall 2014.
Faculty Pursuits 2013
Dr. Yurmi Grisby published the following:
- Kim, S., Micek, T., & Grigsby, Y. (2013). Investigating professionalism in ESOL teacher education through critical incident analysis and evaluation. International Journal of TESOL and Learning, 2(3), p.170-186.
- Kim, S., Ates, B., Lee, G., and Grigsby, Y. (2013). Incorporating our own cultural narratives in TESOL Education: A reflective team approach by four TESOL educators. International Journal of Education and Culture, 2(3), p. 177-194.
- Kim, S., Grigsby, Y., & Micek, T. (2013). Addressing professional dispositions for teaching P-12 English language learners: Why, when, and how. International Journal of TESOL and Learning, 2(2), 65-80.
Dr. Kathryn Hollywood and Dr. Claudia Santin published: Hollywood, K., Blaess, D. & Santin, C. [under editing]. “A Challenge for Higher Education: Preparing Competent Global Leaders,” Journal of Management Education: An International Journal. Common Ground Publishing
Dr. Claudia Santin published:
- Santin, C, & McDaniel, Heather (February 2013) "Strategic Planning in Higher Education: Key Points to Success,". Journal of Online Higher Education (JOHE).
- Santin, C, & McDaniel, Heather (January 2013) "The Implications of a Shared Vision in Educational Institutions" Journal of Online Higher Education (JOHE).
- Schilling, C. A., & Tomal, D. R. (2013). Resource management for school administrators: optimizing fiscal, facility, and human resources. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield Education.
- Tomal, D. R., & Schilling, C. A. (2013). Managing human resources and collective bargaining. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield.
Dr. Craig Schilling wrote, “Reach your Potential: Achieving Excellence through Goal Setting” for the Illinois Association of School Business Official's 'Update" magazine Summer 2013 Issue.
Dr. Andrew Steinmann published:
- “Correlation of Select Classical Sources Related to the Trojan War with Assyrian and Biblical Chronologies” by RODGER C. YOUNG and ANDREW E. STEINMANN in Journal for the Evangelical Study of the Old Testament vol. 1.2 (2012): 223-48 and is available online at http://jesot.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/JESOT-1.2-Young-Steinmann.pdf.
- A book review, The Meaning of the Pentateuch: Revelation, Composition and Interpretation by Sailhamer, John. (2009) InterVarsity. http://www.bookreviews.org/BookDetail.asp?TitleId=8130
Tawfik, A., Reiseck, C. & Richter, R. (2013). Project management methods for the implementation of an online faculty development course. In A. D. Benson, J. L. Moore, S.Williams van Rooij (Eds.), Cases on Educational Technology Planning, Design and Implementation: A Project Management Perspective (pp. 153-168).
Dr. Suzanne Walsh featured: Walsh, Suzanne, (August 5, 2013) “Challenge Issued to River Forest Parents” was quoted in a number of Local Tribune editions across the Chicago land area in an article about exercising with your kids.
Mangan, M. T. “An evidence-based school finance solution for Illinois” presentation to the Illinois State Education Funding Advisory Committee, Forest Park, IL December 2013.
Pederson, A. “Digital Essay Assessment” presentation to the LEA convention, Milwaukee October 2013.
Tomal, D. “Leading and Motivating Teachers,” presentation made at the Midwest Institute Conference, Lincoln, IL November, 2013.
Tomal, D. “Career Readiness Assessment” moderated panel discussion at the joint IASB/IASA, IASBE annual conference, Chicago, November, 2013.
Trisha Wickland (College of Education undergraduate student) and Dr. Rachel Eells presented “The Effect of Media Portrayals of Teachers on Undergraduate Beliefs about Teachers,” at the Midwestern Educational Re-search Association annual meeting in Evanston., Nov. 2013.
Bishop, D. “Ethical issues regarding care for the children in custody disputes” presentation to the Wisconsin State Bar in Door County Wisconsin regarding family law ethics for lawyers involved in divorce and custody cases around the interests of children, June, 2013.
Bishop, D. “Child's Best Interest is more than just a legal mandate” presentation to the Wisconsin Walworth County Bar Association including judges, commissions and attorneys covering issues of child development and children in the legal system, July, 2013
Bishop, D. (2013, July) “Ethics in Conflicted Parenting cases and the Child's Best Interest” presentation to the Wisconsin Counseling Association at the Annual Symposium in Madison Wisconsin.
- At the 13th Annual Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations (June, 2013) in Vancouver, BC. The paper, “A Challenge for Higher Education: Preparing Competent Global Leaders,”.
- At the Chair's Academy 22nd Annual Conference (April, 2013) in Phoenix, AZ. The paper, "Setting the Institutional Agenda: Building Capacity for Sustainability,".
Dr. Kathryn Hollywood, Dr. Donna Blaess and Dr. Claudia Santin: Paper accepted for presentation at the Fourteenth International Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations. The paper, “A Mandate to Change for Innovation in Higher Education, will be presented in August 2014, in Oxford, UK at the Said Business School and presented the following papers:
- “A Challenge for Higher Education: Preparing Competent Global Leaders.” Paper presented at the 13th Annual Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations (June, 2013) in Vancouver, BC.
- “Setting the Institutional Agenda: Building Capacity for Sustainability.” Paper presented at the Chair's Academy 22nd Annual Conference (April, 2013) in Phoenix, AZ.
Dr. Amanda Maddocks presented the following papers at the American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, April 27-May 1, 2013 in San Francisco:
- “Assessing doctoral program partnership models and the preparation of candidates for dissertation research” to the Doctoral Education Across the Disciplines SIG
- "Integrating the Research: Co-Teaching to Prepare Reading Specialists to be Specialists in Research” to the Professors of Educational Research SIG (With Dr. Dara Soljaga)
- Additionally, Dr. Maddocks chaired sessions on “Research Quality Assessment and Outcomes for Teaching Educational Research” and “Methodological Issues in Survey Research”
Dr. Thomas Jandris presented, “Creative Talent Training and Nurturing at U.S. Universities” and Dr. Marilyn Reineck presented, “Academic Organization of US Universities: Authority and Responsibilities at the University and at the College Level” to visiting administrators and faculty from Henan University, China, Jan. 30, 2013.
Prof. Richard Richter presented:
- To the LEA (Lutheran Education Association) Convocation, Milwaukee, WI, October 2013.
- With Ebbrecht, S., and, Smith, A. “Engaging the online learner”, presentation made to the 2013 Café (Concordia Adjunct Faculty Exchange), CUC, August, 2013.
- “Servant Leadership”, presentation made to LEASA (Lutheran Education Association of Southern Africa), Pretoria and Durban, South Africa, August, 2013.
- “Teaching and Learning in the 21st Century”, presentation made to the Department of Finance and Economics, Tshwane University of Technology, July 2013.
- 30th Anniversary Thanksgiving Celebration of Themba Trust, (October 5) Sinethemba Agricultural & Technical Secondary School, Vergelegen Farm, Dirkesdorp, 2013.
- Applying project management to faculty development. Paper presented at Annual Conference on Distance Teaching & Learning. Madison, WI (2013)
- What Drives Instructional Change and Instructional Design Quality? A Project Management Perspective. Paper to be presented Schnack, J. “Using an iPad/Tablet to Strengthen and Reinforce Processing Strategies”, Presentation made to the “Dynamics of Dyslexia, Cracking the Common Core”, Everyone Reading Illinois Fall Conference, Schaumburg, IL, October 2013.
Dr. Dara Soljaga presented the following:
- "Preliminary Lessons: Language and Literacy Negotiation in a Sociocultural Context” with Dr. Sim-eon Stumme at the Concordia University Chicago and West Suburban Reading Council 38th Annual Reading Confer-ence, October 19, 2013.
- “Lessons from Down Under: Literacy Learning from Australia, Part II” with Carolyn Koegler-Aloisio and Kristen VanLeeuwen at the Concordia University Chicago and West Suburban Reading Council 38th Annual Reading Conference, October 19, 2013.
- Taught from March 2-10 at the LCMS center in Phnom Penh, Cambodia training native pastors in Old Testament as part of their ongoing training for service in Southeast Asia. Dr. Steinmann engaged in this work at the invitation of the Luther Institute of Southeast Asia. He is willing to share pictures he has of Phnom Penh and of his work with the pastors.
- Presented: "The Chronology of the Nativity" to the Cincinnati, Ohio Circuit LCMS pastors on 1/9/2013"
- Jesus in History" at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee on Tuesday (2/5/2013)
- "Basic Old Testament Chronology" to Circuit 9W pastors of the Northern Illinois District LCMS (2/7/2013)
The following faculty members presented sectionals at the Lutheran Educational Convocation, Oct. 24-26, 2013 , Milwaukee.:
- Dr. Katherine Brandon, “Shine with Astronomy Day”
- Dr. Richard Fischer, “Instrumental and Choral Music Teachers: Let’s Talk”
- Dr. Lauren Wellen, “Is Your Curriculum Skewed or SCEWD?
- Prof. Richard Richter, “Tablets for Learning”
- Dr. Christian Hauser, “Arts, Music and Technology!”
- Dr. Rachel Eells, “Gender in Your Classroom”
- Prof. Andrew Pederson, “Digital Essay Assessment”
- Dr. Jane Buerger (emeritus), “Are We Programmed for Service?”
- Dr. Del Mueller (emeritus), “Really, Really Real Bible Stories”
- Dr. William Ewald (emeritus), “The Social, Pedagogical, and Cultural Environment for Confirmation Instruction in the LCMS Since 1950”
Dr. Kathryn Hollywood received a 2 year appointment as a member of the Editorial Board for the Journal of Leadership Educators, the publication for the Association of Leadership Educators.
Dr. Amanda Maddocks was elected Chair of the Professors of Educational Research SIG for the 2013-2014 academic year.
Mariam Mazboudi, Chairman of the Recruiting for the Qualitative Research SIG at AERA.
Dr. Daniel R. Tomal was appointed as member of the Editorial Boards for the American Secondary Education Journal and for the Journal of the American Technical Education for 2013-14.
At the 2013 Annual Conference of the Christian Society for Kinesiology and Leisure Studies, Suzanne Walsh received the Presidential Award. The award was in recognition of her valuable support of the mission of the Christian Society for Kinesiology and Leisure Studies.
Andrew Pederson’s original play Yellow Light was produced at Voices of the South Theatre in Memphis, TN January 10-26, 2014. His children’s play Chivalry Me Timbers! The Terrifying True Tale of the most Polite Pirates to ever Sail the Seven Seas will be produced at Lake County Lutheran High School in Grafton, WI in spring, 2014. In April, 2014 Prof. Pederson served as the Writer-in-Residence at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. He presented workshop on playwriting and on comedy writing.