Dr. Zaharis is a faculty member of the Department of Educational Leadership and teaches in the Principal Preparation and Superintendent Preparation Programs at CUC.
She teaches face-to-face and online master's and doctoral courses in supervision and evaluation, organizational change, curriculum and assessment, instructional leadership, supervisory theory and practice, school finance and ethics. Dr. Zaharis is a program leader and is also a member of doctoral faculty overseeing doctoral students engaged in the dissertation process. She has been a school principal in both public and private school systems in three different states for 16 years and has been an educator for 25 years.
- PhD, Educational Leadership - Concordia University Chicago; River Forest, IL
- MS, Educational Leadership - University of Georgia; Athens, GA
- BS, Elementary Education - University of Nebraska; Omaha, NE
Academic and Professional Highlights
- Assistant Marshall - CUC Graduate Commencement (2017-2018)
- CUC Graduate Student Commencement Speaker (2014)
- Patriarch Athenagoras Award for Distinguished Metropolis Service
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year Finalist - Gwinnett County Public Schools, Lawrenceville, GA
- Student Teacher of the Year - University of Nebraska
- Athenagoras Award for Distinguished Metropolis Service - Atlanta, GA (2004)
- Principal Evaluator (PERA) Certified State of Illinois
- Teacher Evaluator (PERA) Certified State of Illinois
- Professional Memberships: ICPEA, Phi Delta Kappa, ASCD, NAESP, NASSP, AMLE, DKG
- Association of Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- International Council of Professors of Educational Administration (ICPEA)
- National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP)
- National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP)
- Association of Middle Level Educators (AMLE)
- Delta Kappa Gamma Society International (DKG)
- Metropolis of Chicago Greek Orthodox Church Music Federation
- School Leader, Principal - 16 years in public and private schools
Albright, J., Safer, A., Sims, P., Tagaris, A., Glasgow, D., Sekulich, K, Zaharis, M. "What Factors Impact Why Novice Middle School Teachers in a Large Midwestern Urban School District Leave After Their Initial Year of Teaching." NCPEA Education Leadership Review, International Journal of Educational Leadership Preparation, V12, Spring, 2017.
Zaharis, M., Sims, P., Safer, A., Tagaris, A., Hendricks, A., Sekulich, K., Glasgow, D. "The Impact of Spirituality on School Leadership." NCPEA Education Leadership Review. National Council of Educational Leadership. V18:1, Fall 2017.
"Reflecting on the Danielson Framework to Improve Teaching and Learning." CUC, River Forest, IL (October 2018).
"Is There a Gender Gap in How Women and Men Make Ethical Decisions in Their Leadership Roles?". Inaugural Gender and Gerontology Summit at CUC, River Forest, IL (April 2018).
"PERA - Review Sessions for Principal Preparation Students." CUC, River Forest, IL (July 2017, July 2018).
"The Impact of Spirituality on School Leadership." California Lutheran University, Thousand Oaks, CA (September 2017).
ILTS Test Preparation Session for Graduate Students in the Principal Preparation Program, CUC, River Forest, IL (July 2017).
"The impact of spirituality on school leadership." Paper presented at 2017 Annual Conference Association of Lutheran Colleges Faculties, Thousand Oaks, CA (2017).
PERA Training Graduate Seminars (July 2016; July 2017).
ILTS Training Graduate Seminar (July 2017).