Dr. Andrea Dinaro serves as the Curriculum, Technology, and Inclusive Education Division Chairperson in the College of Education. She is an Associate Professor of Special Education and the co-sponsor of the CUC student group Council for Exceptional Children-Student Chapter. She was awarded the Illinois Alliance of Administrators of Special Education Trailblazer Award (February 2016) for innovative practices and since 2019 serves on the board of the Illinois Alliance of Administrators of Special Education.
Her content strengths and research interests include disability, accessibility, inclusive practices, student growth, differentiation, disability topics in education, social emotional learning, assistive technology, special education leadership, professional development, and specialized supports in K12 education.
- EdD, Special Education - Illinois State University; Bloomington, IL
- MSEd, Leadership and Administration - Benedictine University; Lisle, IL
- MS, Disability and Human Development - University of Illinois at Chicago; Chicago, IL
- BS, Special Education - Illinois State University; Normal, IL
Endorsements and Certificates
- Gifted Teacher Education Post-Master’s Certificate
- K-12 Director of Special Education (Illinois-Approved and NCATE-Approved DOSE Program)
- Illinois Type 75, General Administrative
- Learning Behavior Specialist 1 (LBS1)
Academic and Professional Highlights
Awards and Honors
- Illinois Alliance of Administrators of Special Education Trailblazer Award (February 2016)
Prior Professional and Academic Positions
- Curriculum and Professional Development Coordinator, A.E.R.O. Special Education Cooperative (August 2007-December 2015).
- Assistive Technology Supervisor, A.E.R.O. Special Education Cooperative (2008-December 2015).
- Behavior Intervention Specialist Department Supervisor of BCBAs, A.E.R.O. Special Education Cooperative (2013-December 2015).
- Special Education Teacher, A.E.R.O. Special Education Cooperative (August 1999-June 2007).
- Taught intermediate and junior high age students with labels of intellectual disabilities, physical/mobility disabilities, multiple disabilities and deaf/hard of hearing.
Book (under review): Thompson, J. R., Walker, V. L., Wehmeyer, M. L., Edyburn, D. L., Snodgrass, M. R., Carlson, S. R., Carpenter, M. E., Nelson, J. A., Lyon, K. J., Dinaro, A. P., Shogren, K. A., Palmer, S. B., Michalak, N., Leyden, S. J., Tapp, M. Planning for the success of students with IEPs: A support-based approach to inclusive education
Dinaro, A. (2019). Inclusive language as a form of advocacy in schools. In T. Heller, R. Gould, G. J. Gill, & S. Harris (Eds.), Disability in American life: An encyclopedia of concepts, policies, and controversies (pp. 370-375). Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO Publishing.
Alqahtani, K. M., & Dinaro, A. (2019). Life-long learning by inclusive design: Accessibility and the whole child approach. IL ASCD Journal 2019, 65(2), 28-31.
Dinaro, A. (2018). The different learner column: What is different? Lutheran Education Journal,154, 69.
Dinaro, A. (2018). Values and applicability of multidimensional social emotional learning. IL ASCD Journal Fall 2018, 64(3), 16-22.
Dinaro, A. & Stolz, S (2017). Strength in vulnerability. IL ASCD Journal Fall 2018, 64(3), 18-24.
Dinaro, A. (2017). Information is not transformation: Planning for parent supports. IL ASCD Journal Fall 2018, 63(1), 18-21.
Dinaro, A. (2016). Learning Environments for All. IL ASCD Journal Fall 2016, 62(3), 18-22.
Dinaro, A. (2016). A Family Conversation About Finding Your Voice: Writing and the Whole Child Initiative. IL ASCD Journal Summer 2016, 62(2), 16-20.
Dinaro, A. (May 2019-to present). Not-for-Profit Johnson fellows program resource development: Lesson plans, website resources. San Diego, California
Dinaro, A. (April 2021). How to create inclusive spaces (90 minutes). [Presented to faculty, staff, students, visitors] via Zoom, organized by the Office of Multi-cultural and First Generation Involvement. Concordia University Chicago. River Forest, IL.
Dinaro, A., Alasmi, K., & Stolz, S. (April 2020). Continuum of services. Presented at the Multiple Perspectives on Access, Inclusion, and Disability Conference via Zoom due to Covid-19, Ohio State University, Columbus.
Dinaro, A. (February 2019). Self-determination and students with disabilities [full day workshop]. Presented at Eisenhower Cooperative for the Illinois Alliance of Administrators of Special Education Region Training Series, Crestwood IL.
Dinaro, A. (July 2019). Student engagement (3 hours). Workshop presented for Concordia University Chicago. River Forest, IL.
Dinaro, A. (2019). Teaching self-advocacy to/with students with disabilities [2 hour keynote for Saturday event sponsored by the SAASE, CUC International Office, CUC College of Graduate Studies. Presented at Concordia University Chicago. River Forest, IL.
Dinaro, A. & Jia, D. (2019). Understanding disability (1.5 hour co-taught lesson presented to visiting professors from China]. Presented at Concordia University Chicago. River Forest, IL.
Dinaro, A., Alasmi, K., Almulla, A., Alhaznawi, A., Aldehami, S., Althobaiti, S., Alshamnsan, O., Koshak, E., & Alfurayh, H. (April 2019). Multiple perspectives on access, inclusion, and disability (multiple topics). Presented at Society for Disability Studies Conference. Ohio State University, Columbus.
Dinaro, A. (February 2017, 2020). Dynamic Learning Maps (DLM) Illinois Alternate Assessment workshops (two full-day workshops on assessment). AERO Special Education Cooperative, Burbank, IL.
Dinaro, A., Gunnell, J, Furbush, M, & Nelson, J. (2016). PERA joint committee key decisions and example type III assessment tools for special education teachers and itinerant low-incidence teachers. Presented at Illinois Alliance of Administrators of Special Education Winter Conference, Springfield, IL.