Step beyond campus to find unique offerings in the surrounding neighborhoods
As a student, you will enjoy the safe, charming neighborhood of River Forest that immediately surrounds Concordia University Chicago. The local communities are full of excellent restaurants, stores, entertainment facilities, public parks and many other places of interest.
Local Historical District
Concordia University Chicago is located in the beautiful, tree-lined suburb of River Forest, a town that nearly 11,000 people call home. Located next to River Forest is the historic and vibrant town of Oak Park, a much larger suburb known especially for its architecture.
Frank Lloyd Wright lived in the town for 20 years, and he designed 25 buildings there, including the famed Unity Temple. His home and studio are open for daily tours.
Ernest Hemingway was born in Oak Park in 1899 and his birthplace home is open for tours. The Noble Prize winning author spent the first 20 years of his life here writing for the newspaper at the local high school and exploring the local prairies and woods.
Local Sites to Explore
The nearby villages of Elmwood Park, Oak Park, and Forest Park provide everything you need to meet your daily needs—shopping, entertainment, and transportation.
- Grab a cup of coffee at Sugar Fixe Cafe, Starbucks or Courageous Bakery
- Eat Chicago’s famous deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati’s in Oak Park
- Shop small, unique boutiques or famous brand stores like The Gap, Old Navy, DSW and more
- Take a tour of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Home and Studio and/or Ernest Hemingway’s boyhood home
- Pick up snacks at Whole Foods, Jewel or Fresh Thyme
- Check out the Book Table to browse great reading selections
- Sample food from around The world - Greek, Italian, Thai, American, Mexican, French, Chinese, Indian, Middle Eastern
Easy access to Chicago is found in Oak Park via the Green Line “L” or Metra train.