Dr. Pawl teaches studies in literacy and multiliteracies diagnosis of reading problems, remediation of reading problems, research in children’s literature, practicum in reading instruction and a second level practicum in reading instruction in Concordia University Chicago’s College of Graduate and Innovative Programs.
Dr. Pawl research interests include literacy and curriculum development. For 21 years, Dr. Pawl was an elementary teacher and reading specialist in Lake Forest. Previously, she served Concordia as an adjunct professor in the reading program. She became a full-time faculty member in 2010.
- PhD, Curriculum and Instruction - Loyola University Chicago; Chicago, IL
- CAS, Reading Specialist Type 10 - National-Louis University; Evanston, IL
- MA, Education-Curriculum and Instruction - National-Louis University; Evanston, IL
- BA, Elementary Education Psychology - Barat College; Lake Forest, IL
Academic and Professional Highlights
- Member of the Loyola University of Chicago Chapter of Alpha Upsilon Alpha, The Honor Society of the International Reading Association.
- Lake Forest School District 67 Innovative Practice Award for the development and implementation of the district’s Team Read Literacy Program since April 2008.
- Lake Forest School District 67 innovative Practice Award for planning, organizing and presenting at the district’s Family Literacy Evening, June 2007.
“Design and Implementation of ‘Guided reading in K-4 Schools.’” Saint Mary’s School, Lake Forest, Ill., April 2009.
34th Annual Reading Conference. Concordia University Chicago, River Forest, Ill., February 2009.
Presenter at the Lake County Regional Office of Education, September 2008.
“Read Aloud and Vocabulary Acquisition…What’s the Connection.” The Northern Illinois Reading Recovery Consortium Fall into Literacy Conference, September 2008.
Reading Strategies Workshop Comprehension focus: Visualizing and Interfering. Lake Forest School District 67, Lake Forest, Ill., November 2006.
“Reading Strategies for All Readers.” Lake Forest School District 67; Lake Forest, Ill., October 2006.
“Development Spelling Activities for Parents-Making Words and Word Sort.” Lake Forest School District 67 Everett Elementary School, Lake Forest, Ill., March 2006.
“Reading Strategies for Non-fiction Texts.” Lake Forest School District 67, Lake Forest, Ill., February 2006.
“Vocabulary Strategies-Vocabulary Development Activities to Strengthen Literacy Comprehension and Fluency.” Lake Forest School District, Lake Forest, Ill., December 2005.
“Team Read, Early Literacy Program-Program Model and Steps for Implementation.” Lake Forest School District 67, Lake Forest, Ill., October 2005.