Dr. Schilling is a National Education Finance Academy Distinguished Fellow, international presenter and award winning author. He is the program chair for Concordia-Chicago's Educational Finance, Human Resources, Law and Chief School Business Management Programs.
He teaches graduate level classes focusing on school finance, human resources, school law and the principles of school business management. Prior to joining Concordia, he served in various different administrative positions for local school districts and as an educational consultant for various public schools and private businesses. Dr. Schilling has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 2009.
- EdD, Educational Administration - Northern Illinois University; DeKalb, IL
- CAS, School Business Management - Northern Illinois University; DeKalb, IL
- MS, Human Services - Boston University; Boston, MA
- BS, Sociology and Psychology - University of Maryland; College Park, MD
Academic and Professional Highlights
Awards & Honors
- Leading with Resolve and Mastery: Competency-Based Strategies for Superintendent Success. Co-authored with Dr. Robert K. Wilhite, Dr. Jeffrey Brierton, and Dr. Daniel R. Tomal. Recipient of the Book of the Year award for 2018 in the category of Leadership and Education, conferred by Success Solutions International, Inc. (SSI)
- National Education Finance Academy Distinguished Fellow 2017
- Ronald E. Everett Distinguished Service Award, 2014
- ASBO International Pinnacle Award of Achievement, 2005
- Illinois ASBO Lighthouse Award, 2005
- Excellence in Educational Leadership Award, University Council for Educational Administration, 2002
- 2002 Award of Merit, Potawatomi District, Boy Scouts of America
- ASBO International Eagle Service Award for Professional Service, 1999
- Certificate of Appreciation, White House Communications Agency, President William Jefferson Clinton, 1997
- ASBO International Eagle Outstanding School Business Administrator, 1995
- Recipient of “Top Ten Teaching Award” from Northern Illinois University Department of Leadership and Educational Policy Studies, 1994
July 1989 to 2009
Adjunct and Assistant Professor, Northern Illinois University
July 1980 to June 2009
Assistant Superintendent for Business Affairs, Northfield Township HSD 225
Assistant Township Treasurer, Northfield Township HSD 225
Assistant Superintendent for Fiscal Services, Rich Township HSD 227
School Treasurer, Marquardt School District 15
Business Manager, Marquardt School District 15
Administrative Assistant for Business Services, Bellwood Elementary School District 88
Dec 1978 to June 1980
Systems Analyst, Mobil Oil Corporation
Jan 1972 to Oct 1978
Operations & Terminal Supervisor, U.S. Army
Tomal, D. and Schilling, C. (2018). Human Resource Management. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
Wilhite, Brierton, Schilling and Tomal (2017). Leading with Resolve and Mastery. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
Tomal, D., Schilling C. and Wilhite, R. (2014). The Teacher Leader. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
Schilling, C. and Tomal, D. (2013). Resource management for school administrators. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
Tomal, D. and Schilling, C. (2013). Managing human resources and collective bargaining. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
Tomal, D., Schilling, C. and Trybus, M. (2013). Leading school change. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
Wilhite, Brierton, Schilling and Tomal (2018. Leaders of Learning: Core Competencies of School Leaders. Lutheran Education Journal Spring 2018, pp 12-22.
Schilling, C., Review contribution, Sadeghi, Leila with Kathe Callahan, Educational Leadership in Action, Routledge/Taylor & Francis, Expected Publication, Spring 2015.
Beyne, S. and Schilling, C (Spring 2014). On the Right Track: Aligning HR and Business through Position Control Software. ASBO Update Magazine, Reston, Va.
Beyne, C. and Schilling, C. (Apr 2014). Assessing Emerging Technologies and Infrastructure. eSchool News.
2018 AASA Annual Meeting, Nashville, TN – Presenter – “A comparison of School Leader Core Competencies.”
2016 Deakin University, “Stewardship and Tools of the Trade: Benchmarking, Analytics and Process Tools,” Melbourne, Australia
2015 EdTech Conference, “The Commonalties of Change,” Brisbane, Australia
2015 EdTech Conference, “What is the Role of School Business Officials in IT Decisions?” Brisbane Australia
2015 Deakin University, “Trends in American Education,” Geelong, Australia
2015 Deakin University, “Financial Decision-making for Student Outcomes,” Geelong, Australia
2015 Florida Association of School Business Officials Annual Conference, Orland, FL – Presenter – “IT for School Business Managers”
2015 California Association of School Business Officials Annual Conference, San Diego, CA – Presenter – “From Assessment to Infrastructure”
2014 Queensland Educational Service Center, “Managing Resources for Higher Student Performance,” Brisbane, Australia
2014 ASBO International Annual Meeting, Dallas, Tx – Presenter – “Relating Educational Resources to Student Outcomes”