News & Events
Concordia University Chicago Hosts Arts en Español Event
Concordia University Chicago’s College of Arts and Sciences will host Arts en Español, on Saturday, May 3, at 6 p.m., in the West Annex. This bi-lingual event celebrates the work of Chicago-area Latino artists through the presentation of poetry, visual arts and music. The free event is open to the public.
Featured artists include:
- Jarochicanos Xicago – This music ensemble performs in the son jarocho style of Veracruz, Mexico that combines the influence of indigenous, Spanish and African music.
- Dr. Juana Goergen – As a celebrated poet and literary critic, she is one of the main forces behind Chicago’s International Poetry Festival/Poesia en Abril. Goergen is also an associate professor at DePaul University.
- Dr. Silvia Goldman – Best known for her book of poetry, Cinco movimientos del llanto, Uruguay native Goldman serves as assistant professor of Spanish at North Central College.
- Juan Alberto Castillo – Castillo’s works have been shown in one-person and Juried exhibitions, including his recent showing in the National Museum of Mexican art. Also a graphic designer and illustrator, his work for the Chicago Cubs includes initiatives to reach the Spanish-language market.
- Roberto Ferreyra – Co-founder of the Montserrat Alsina of Colibri Studio/Gallery in Pilsen, Ferreyra’s works draw upon the traditions of pre-Columbian art as well as of the twentieth-century Mexican muralists. He has recently started an exchange between Chicago artists and those in Mexico City, Tlaxcala, Michoacan and Puebla.
- Catherine Cajandig – Cajandig is a painter, printmaker, muralist and curator. She has exhibited her work in sixteen one-women shows in the U.S., Italy, Spain and Mexico and has been represented in numerous books and collections.
The Concordia University Chicago campus is located at 7400 Augusta Street, River Forest. Free handicapped-accessible parking is available in the Early Childhood Education lot off Augusta Street. Directions and a campus map are available at CUChicago.edu/map.
For additional details on this event, contact Dr. Kathleen Curtin at email@example.com or 708-209-3093.