Concordia University Chicago is closely monitoring information related to the international outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Officials from the University’s Emergency Response Team, Dean of Students Office, Human Resources, Public Safety, Facilities, Campus Health Clinic and other key offices are actively reviewing and updating related procedures, and responding as needed. CUC’s team continues to work in conjunction with federal, state, and local health authorities, to provide information and implement policies intended to ensure the continued health and safety of our community.
Campus Operations Highlights - Fall 2021
The COVID-19 pandemic remains an ever-changing and fluid situation. The University is continuously monitoring the situation locally, nationally and globally. CUC’s operations will remain flexible throughout the academic year, giving the University the ability to pivot as necessary.
- The University requires formal reporting for all individuals who have a confirmed case of COVID-19, have been exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19 or have an assumed case of COVID-19.
- University events and extracurriculars will be held without capacity restrictions.
- All campus buildings and facilities are open general public.
- The University’s Fitness Center will be open for use by individual students, faculty, and staff and will also be used for athletic team training activities.
- The track and field facility remains closed to the public as reopening plans are developed.
- The University will not require members of the campus community to be fully vaccinated as a condition for returning to campus this fall.
- All students, faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to receive a COVID-19 vaccine prior to returning to campus.
- Most traditional undergraduate courses will be offered in an in-person, on-campus format only.
- Classroom density will not be limited; classrooms will be configured in a way that best promotes the particular academic learning environment.
- Graduate-level and ADP courses will be offered in both online and in-person formats.
Early Childhood Education Center (ECEC)
- The ECEC is open pursuant to State of Illinois and DCFS statutes.
- The Center is operating with strict safety protocols in place to meet all State of Illinois and DCFS regulations.
- Contact the ECEC directly at crfecec@CUChicago.edu for enrollment details.
- All sports will return to full training, practice and competition schedules.
- All student-athletes and members of the athletics staff are required to strictly adhere to all forthcoming NCAA and NACC regulations.
- Coaches for each team/sport are responsible for sharing and implementing the complete athletics plan throughout the semester.
- Room and hall occupancy limits have returned to pre-pandemic levels.
- Students will have roommates. Single rooms are available on a limited basis.
- Guests will be permitted in residence hall rooms in accordance with existing visitation policies.
- Lounges and kitchens will be open.
- All foodservice locations will be open for normal operations.
- Facemasks will continue to be required for all servers/cashiers.
- Walk-in dine-in, pre-orders for carry out, and walk-in carry-out options are available.
- Expanded sanitation procedures, improved take-out opportunities and the BiteU smartphone app remain in place.
Communication to the CUC Community
The University is regularly communicating COVID-19 responses and information via email. A comprehensive archive of those communications is available below.
- Fall 2021 Return to Campus Plan - July 12, 2021
- Illinois Phase 5 Operations Memo - June 11, 2021
- Phase 4 Bridge Operations Update - May 20, 2021
- Fall 2021 Return to Campus Details Announced - February 25, 2021
- Spring Operations Update - January 20, 2021
- Spring 2021 Return to Campus Plan - December 11, 2020
- Campus Operations Update - IL Tier 3 Mitigations - November 18, 2020
- Fall Mitigation Memo - October 29, 2020
- Spring 2021 Operations Announcement - October 16, 2020
- #CampusClear App Update - September 4, 2020
- Employee Mask Clarification Memo - August 31, 2020
- First Fall COVID-19 Case - August 24, 2020
- Fall Online Academic Plan + FAQ - August 4, 2020
- Non-Traditional Fall Athletics Season - July 27, 2020
- Fall Return to Campus Plan - July 7, 2020
- Illinois Phase 4 & Return-to-Campus Preview - June 26, 2020
- Return to Work Procedures - June 8, 2020
- Illinois Phase 3: Campus Reopening Plan Preview - May 28, 2020
- President Dawn: Fall Operations Update - May 12, 2020
- Illinois Stay at Home Order Extended Through May - April 23, 2020
- University Update - April 18, 2020
- Commencement Update - April 17, 2020
- Student Assistance Fund - April 6, 2020
- Student Account Adjustments and Refunds - April 6, 2020
- Illinois Stay-at-Home Order Extended - March 31, 2020
- COVID-19: First Confirmed Case - March 30, 2020
- Residential Life Update: Room and Board Credit - March 27, 2020
- Commencement Update - March 26, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Faculty/Staff - March 20, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Students - March 20, 2020
- Campus Update: Faculty & Staff - March 19, 2020
- Student Information Update - March 19, 2020
- Undergraduate Student Update - March 18, 2020
- Residential Student Move Out Plan - March 17, 2020
- Staff Telework Communication - March 16, 2020
- Concordia University Chicago Update - March 16, 2020
- Telework and Childcare Update - March 13, 2020
- Athletics Season Cancellation - March 13, 2020
- COVID-19 Update - March 12, 2020
- E-learning Test Date Change and Additional Response Guidance - March 11, 2020
- Academic and Business Continuity Planning - March 9, 2020
- International Travel Reporting Requirements - March 4, 2020
- General Coronavirus Update - March 3, 2020
- General Coronavirus Warning - January 31, 2020
CUC Reporting Requirements
COVID-19 Mandatory Reporting
Employees and students who have been directly exposed to a confirmed COVID-19 case or received a positive diagnosis themselves are required to provide a report to the University.
- Confirm symptoms in accordance with CDC Checklist
- All notifications should be submitted via the COVID-19 Self Reporting Form
- Indicate the date that symptoms were first identified and/or that a positive COVID diagnosis was received
- Indicate all times that they were present on campus during the prior 14 days
- Indicate all campus locations that they were present at during the prior 14 days
- Indicate all other employees and/or students with whom they had direct contact on campus during the prior 14 days
- Return to work in accordance with CUC Guidelines
In coordination with the state of Illinois' Phase 4 Bridge guidelines, the University is now allowing university-related travel as follows:
- Domestic employee travel is allowed for all business purposes, and is no longer restricted to fundraising or recruitment. Note: ALL travel must adhere to existing University approvals and procedures.
- International travel, for employees and students, must be submitted to the University’s Emergency Response Team for review on a case-by-case basis to ensure adherence to any applicable CDC guidelines.
If you experience symptoms which you believe may be related to the COVID-19 and before seeking face-to-face care, you are strongly encouraged to call an off campus health clinic or your preferred healthcare provider for a preliminary screening and to schedule an appointment.
Any individual experiencing potential symptoms should not come to campus for any reason.
In addition, and to safeguard the campus community, persons traveling to areas that are listed on the CDC travel warning register (see Travel Reporting Requirements above) may be required to report any health issues and/or remain away from the campus for 14 days upon return to the U.S. to ensure that they have not contracted the COVID-19.
Additional information about local healthcare providers is available on the CUC Health Clinic webpage.
If you have additional questions or concerns related to your role as a student, faculty or staff member, please direct your inquiry to the following offices:
Students and Parents (Current)
Dean of Students Office
Students and Parents
(New for Fall 2020 or later)
Office of Undergraduate Admission
Graduate Admission & Student Services
ADP Advising Office
Office of Human Resources
Early Childhood Education Center