Robert K. Wilhite, EdD
Dean, College of Graduate StudiesProfessor of Educational Leadership
College of Graduate and Innovative Programs
Dr. Robert Wilhite teaches classes focusing on the areas of instructional leadership, supervision, school improvement, school change processes, ethics and legal issues for school districts. Among his research interests are school improvement processes, leadership models and styles, literacy and reading, curriculum and instruction. Dr. Wilhite is currently the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies and the past chair of the Department of Leadership. He has served on several faculty committees in the College of Graduate and Innovative Programs. He has served as a member of many Doctoral Dissertation Committees, the Peer Review Committee, the College of Graduate and Innovative Programs Policy committee, the College of Education Policy Committee, and the CUC Strategic Planning Council. He currently is a member of the Illinois State Board of Education Licensure Board Peer Review Panels for principal and superintendent preparation programs.
Prior to serving Concordia University Chicago, Dr. Wilhite served as an Adjunct Associate Professor at Loyola University Chicago, Governors State University, and St. Xavier University. He has served as an elementary, middle school, and high school principal at various schools throughout the Chicago area to include the Center for Science and Technology, District 215; Wood Oaks Junior High School, District 27; Wayne Thomas School, Highland Park, Ill. and Greenwood School in Waukegan, Ill. He served as the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction and the Superintendent of Schools in Township High School District 215. He has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 2007.
- EdD, Curriculum and Instruction; Loyola University Chicago
- MEd, Reading and Learning Disabilities; Loyola University Chicago
- BA, Humanities; Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, IL
Academic and Professional Highlights
- "Ethics and Politics in School Leadership," Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, with Brierton, J., Graham, B., & Tomal, D., 2016.
- "Transforming Professional Practice: A Framework for Effective Leadership," Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, with Strike, K., Sims, P., & Mann, S., 2016.
- "Supervision andEvaluation for Learning and Growth," Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, with Tomal, D., Phillips, B., Sims, P., & Gibson, N., 2015.
- "The Teacher Leader: Core Competencies and Strategies for Effective Leadership," Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, with Tomal, T., & Schilling, C., 2013.
- "Chicago HOPES: Eliminating Educational Roadblocks for Homeless Students," with Safer, L., Kroeger, T. & Mann, S., American School Board Journal, May 2011.
- "Applying Adaptive Leadership to Sustain K-12 District Initiatives and Challenges," with Safer, L. & Mann, S., International Journal of Educational Leadership Preparation, 5.3, 2010.
- "Principals’ views of their role in secondary reading programs," Journal of Reading, 27.4, 1984.
- "Readiness Skills for Kindergarteners," Lake County ROE Newsletters, Nov.-Dec., 1982.
- Chicago HOPES: An Educational Intervention Program for Homeless Youth in Chicago's Shelters (with Safer, L., Sims, P. & Mann, S.). National Council for Professors of Educational Administration's (NCPEA), Annual Conference; Portland, Ore., August 2011.
- Chicago HOPES: Strengthening Educational Success for Chicago's Homeless Students (with Safer, L. & Mann, S.), ASCD Annual Conference, San Francisco, August 2011.
- Educational Success for Homeless Students (with Safer, L., Sims P. & Mann, S.), National Staff Development Council's (Learning Forward), 2011 Summer Conference; Indianapolis, Ind., July 2011.
- Chicago HOPES: Strengthening Educational Success for Chicago's Homeless Students (with Safer, L. & Mann, S.), Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) Annual Conference; San Francisco, Calif., March 2011.
- Integrative Learning through a Case Method Approach to Undergraduate Education (with Safer, L. & Sims, P.), ACCA Scholarship of Pedagogy Symposium; Chicago, October 2010.
- Applying Adaptive Leadership to Sustain K-12 District Initiatives and Challenges (with Safer, L. & Mann, S.), National Council of Professors of Educational Administration (NCPEA) Annual Conference; Washington, D.C., August 2010.
- Technology and Curriculum Integration (with Meyer, M.), ASCD Annual Conference; San Antonio, April 2005.
- High Schools for the 21st Century - Career Pathways. Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) Annual Conference; Baltimore, March 1999.
- Career Education and High Achievement (with Long, D.). Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) Annual Conference; Baltimore, March 1999.
- A Middle School in Development. National Staff Development Council (NSDC); Atlanta, 1994.
- A Case Study in Middle School Implementation. National Middle School Association (NMSA); Cincinnati, 1989.
- Parents in Education – Authentic Partnerships. Lake County Illinois Parent Teacher Association (PTA), 1985.
- Parents in Education – What is a Partnership? Lake County Illinois Parent Teacher Association (PTA), 1983.
- Effective Schools and Establishing a Climate for High Achievement (with Bowman, B.), Professional Development Program, District 60, Lake County, Illinois, 1984.
- Are You Ready? commencement address given to the graduating class of Wheaton Warrenville High School; Wheaton, Illinois 1982.
- What is Reading in the Content Areas? International Reading Association (IRA), conference; St. Louis, 1980.
- Reading and the Role of Administrators. International Reading Association (IRA), Annual conference, Atlanta, 1979.
- Outstanding Young Men of America, 1982, 1984
- Campaign Excellence Award, United Way, 1983
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year, University of Chicago, 1979, 1980
- Medal of Meritorious Service, US Army, 1970
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- National Staff Development Council
- National Council for Professors of Educational Administration
- American Association of School Administrators
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Middle School Association
- Phi Delta Kappa
- Illinois Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Illinois Principal’s Association
- Midwest Principal Center
- Harvard Principal Center
- Member of the Vietnam Veterans War Memorial Foundation Committee