Kathryn M. Wozniak, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Instructional Design and Technology
Department Chair, Educational Technology
Dr. Kathryn Wozniak is passionate about the design of digital learning experiences and environments for learners of all ages. She has published and presented on topics including learning technologies, social learning, persuasive design, meta-cognition, gamification and competence-based learning. In addition to her experience in higher education, Dr. Wozniak has extensive experience working with corporate and nonprofit clients.
Dr. Wozniak joined Concordia-Chicago’s faculty in the fall of 2015. She currently teaches courses on human-computer interaction, multimedia design, instructional strategies for online learning, and computer-supported collaborative learning.
- PhD, Computing and Information Systems - DePaul University; Chicago, IL
- MA, Writing - DePaul University; Chicago, IL
- BA, English - DePaul University; Chicago, IL
Academic and Professional Highlights
Publications and Presentations
- Wozniak, K. (2019). Personalized learning for adults: An emerging andragogy. In Yu, S., Ally, M., Tsinakos, A. (Eds.) Emerging Technologies and Pedagogies in the Curriculum. Singapore: Springer.
- Wozniak, K. & Tomal, D. (2018). Social media tools for learning: Activating collaboration strategies for success. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
- “Designing for Adult Learners’ Metacognitive Development and Narrative Identity” In: Hokanson B., Clinton G., Kaminski K. (eds) Educational Technology and Narrative. Springer, Cham, 2018.
- “How do K-12 In-Service Teachers Plan for Collaboration in Game-based Lessons?” (with Kessler, A.) In the Proceedings of Conference on Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning, Philadelphia, PA. International Society of Learning Sciences, June 2017.
- “Supporting Adult Learners’ Narrative Identity and Metacognitive Development with Social-Persuasive Design.” Association for Educational Communications Technology Research Symposium 2016. University of Indiana-Bloomington, IN, July 2016.
- “Designing Adaptive Learning Experiences in Higher Education: A Critical Perspective.” (with C. Lilly, H. Hambrock, R. Richter, C. Reiseck). In the Proceedings of E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, Washington, DC. Nov. 2016, pp. 517-521.
- "Learning, adults and competency-based education." (with Navarre Cleary, M., Marienau, C., Wilbur, G., Tolliver Atta, D., & Meyer, P.). In K. Rasmussen, P. Northrup & R. Colson (Eds.), Handbook of research on competency-based education in university settings. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. 2016.
- “Finding common ground: Identifying and eliciting metacognition in ePortfolios across contexts.” (with Bokser, J., Brown, S., Chaden, C., Moore, M., Navarre Cleary, M., Reed, S., Seifert, E., Zecker, L.B.). International Journal of ePortfolio, 6(1), 33-44, 2016.
- "Exploring adult learners' metacognition: A survey of in-person and online learners," American Educational Research Association Conference; Washington, DC, April 2016.
- "Coding as a method for identifying metacognitive markers in student work," Conference on College Communication and Composition; Houston, TX, April 2016.
- "Class, race, gender, and STEM in education," (with Stiff, M.), Concordia-Chicago SBS Noetics Series; River Forest, IL, April 2016.
- "Using digital badging and micro-credentialing to motivate and recognize learning and development," (with Meyer, P.), Center to Advance Education for Adults; Chicago, IL, March 2016.
- "Increasing socioeconomic equity for women through online education: A review of the literature," Dominican University Women and Gender Studies Conference, River Forest, IL, March 2016.
- "What learners need to succeed," Chicago Association for Talent Development Annual Networking Event; Chicago, IL, January 2016.
- "Borrowing the (proverbial) cup of sugar: Bringing diverse disciplines together to establish university-wide ePortfolio practices," (with Chaden, C., Navarre Cleary, M., Brown, S.), Association of American Colleges and Universities Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, January 2016.
- "Learning in a competence-based world," (with Marienau, C., Meyer, P.), Center to Advance Education for Adults; Chicago, IL, October 2015.
- "Digital storytelling and the new public square," Conference on Community Writing; Boulder, CO, October 2015.
- "Introducing learning in a competence-based world," (with Marienau, C., Meyer, P.), Center to Advance Education for Adults; Chicago, IL, September 2015.
- "Supporting adult students' metacognitive development with social and persuasive design," (with Zagal, J.), Proceedings of Conference on Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning; Gotenborg, Sweden, June 2015.