Kathryn Hollywood, PhD
Professor of Leadership
Chair, Department of Leadership
College of Graduate and Innovative Programs
Dr. Hollywood teaches graduate level leadership courses at Concordia University Chicago. Among her areas of expertise include leadership, organizations, systems change processes, reform, improvement initiatives, and gender/equity leadership issues. She also researches servant leadership, organizations and systems, change initiatives, adult education, higher education, women and leadership issues, online education, professional development and renewal, professional learning communities, leadership, and research methods including qualitative methods, case study, ethnographic studies and mixed methods.
She works closely with graduate students who are taking online courses and advises them through their studies. Dr. Hollywood also facilitates the online graduate program in leadership, sports administration. She assisted in the transition of the F2F Ed Leadership program to the Internet.
Prior to Concordia, Dr. Hollywood served as an online adjunct professor at several universities and has gained experience with academic e-learning platforms. Additionally, she was the dean of the School of Education at Northcentral University and program director for Nova Southeastern University’s Fischler Graduate School of Education, at both universities she served as dissertation chair. She was also a consultant for Panasonic Foundation. Dr. Hollywood has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 2008.
- PhD, Administration & Supervision, Concentration in ChurchOrganizational Leadership. Fordham University; New York City, N.Y.
- Professional Diploma, Pastoral Counseling. Fordham University, New York, N.Y.
- MA, Theology. St. John’s University; New York, N.Y.
- MA, Clinical Psychology. St. John’s University, New York, N.Y.
- BA, Psychology. St. John’s University, New York, N.Y.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- “The Journey Continues” Concordia University Chicago Graduate School Commencement; River Forest, Ill., Dec. 13, 2010.
- “The Servant Leader as Facilitator of e-Learning” (with D. Blaess). Conference on Servant Leadership Pacific North West Region, Oct. 21-22, 2010.
- “Professional Development for Adjunct Faculty Members: Leading the Learning: Developing Critical Thinking and Making New Meaning.” CAFÉ, Concordia University Chicago, River Forest, Ill., Aug. 19, 2010.
- “Clarifying the Action Research Process for Online Doctoral Students” (with D. Blaess). 21st Annual International Conference on College Teaching and Learning, Jacksonville Fla., April 2010.
- “Fostering Critical Thinking in Online Graduate Education,” (with D. Blaess). 21st Annual International Conference on College Teaching and Learning, Jacksonville Fla., April 2010.
- “Many Minds, Many Voices: Facilitating Critical Thinking in Graduate Online Courses” (with D. Blaess, P. Bucchi, C. Santin). 7th Annual SLATE Conference, Chicago, Oct. 15-16, 2009.
- “Cracking the Dissertation Code.” Online Teaching and Learning Conference, Jacksonville, Fla., April 13-17, 2009.
- “Building Capacity for Leading Learning Communities” (with C. Santin). 57th Annual Summer Conference National Council of Professor of Educational Administration, Sedona, Ariz., August 2004.
- “Challenges in Developing e-Learning Communities in Graduate Education” (with C. Santin). 14th Annual International Conference on College Teaching and Learning, Jacksonville, Fla., April 2003.
- “Extending the Vision Beyond the Box” (with C. Santin). 56th Annual Summer Conference National Council of Professors of Educational Administration, Burlington, Vt., August 2003.
- “New Design Paradigm: Hayward, CA school district and NSU partnership.” 56th Annual Summer Conference National Council of Professors of Educational Administration. Burlington, Vt., August 2003.
- “The Effect of the Cohort Model on Creating e-Learning Communities in Higher Education.” Annual Conference American Association for Higher Education, Washington, D.C., March 2003.
- “Challenges in Developing e-Learning Communities in Higher Education” (with C. Santin). TIESWEB Conference TAC 21-Transantlantic Congress, Miami, Fla., November 2002.