Daniel Tomal, Ph.D.
Distinguished Professor of Leadership
Dr. Tomal teaches leadership and research courses in addition to supervision student dissertations and thesis. Among his research topics are leadership, discipline, action research and school improvement.
Active outside the University, Dr. Tomal has testified before the U.S. Congress, providing his expertise in leadership and education. He also has appeared on many national television shows including CBS This Morning, the 700 Club, Tom Snyder, Chicago Talks, and Cover to Cover. Dr. Tomal has consulted for numerous institutions, published more than 20 books and over 200 research studies and journal articles. He has been a member of Concordia-Chicago’s faculty since 1995.
- Ph.D., Educational Administration and Supervision - Bowling Green State University; Bowling Green, OH
- MAE, Education - Ball State University; Muncie, IN
- B.S., Secondary Education - Ball State University; Muncie, IN
Academic and Professional Highlights
- Human Resource Management, 2018.
- Social Media Tools for Learning, 2018.
- Leading with Resolve and Mastery, 2017.
- Songwriting, 2017.
- Ethics and Politics in Leadership, 2016.
- The School Superintendent: Core Competencies, release: 2017.
- Songwriting: Strategies for Musical Expression, release: 2017.
- Ethics and Politics in School Leadership, 2016.
- Supervision and Improvement of Learning, 2015.
- Grant Writing: The Good, The Bad, The Money, 2015.
- Technology for Non-Technology Educators, 2015.
- Electronic Troubleshooting, 2014.
- The Teacher Leaders, 2014.
- School Change Management, 2013.
- How to Finish and Defend Your Doctoral Dissertation, 2013.
- Human Resource Management, 2013.
- Resource Management for School Administrators: Optimizing Fiscal, Facility, and Human Resources. R & L Education, 2013.
- Action Research for Educators, 2nd Edition, 2010.
- Challenging Students to Learn: How to Use Effective Leadership and Motivation Tactics, 2007.
- Electronic Troubleshooting, 2003.
- Action Research for Educators, 2003.
- Discipline by Negotiation: Methods for Managing Student Behavior, 1999.
- Human Relations, Professional Development, 1997.
- Every Parent’s Nightmare: A Young Family’s Triumph over Their Son’s Critical Illness, 1993.
- “Accommodating RIF’s via Effective School District Leadership.” Joint annual IASB,IASA conference Chicago, IL (2015)
- “Conducting School Interventions.” Illinois American Association of University Professors, Palatine, IL (2015)
- “Core Competencies of Teacher Leaders.” Illinois Association of School Boards (2014)
- “Leading School Change.” Illinois Association of School Boards (2014)
- “Helping Educators Change Student Behavior.” Illinois Administrators’ Academy, Chicago. IL (2009)
- “Disruptive Student Management.” Chicago Principals and Administrators’ Academy, Chicago, IL (2008)
- “Leadership and Communications.” Illinois Administrators’ Academy, Chicago, IL (2008)
- “Elementary and Secondary Teacher Styles: A Correlational Study.” Illinois Association of Teacher Educator, Wheaton, IL (2000)
- “Improving School Discipline.” National Council of Professors of Educational Administration, Jackson Hole, WY (1999)