Amanda Smith, PhD
Associate Professor of Curriculum, Language and Literacy
College of Graduate and Innovative Programs
Dr. Smith has served as a Concordia-Chicago faculty member since 2010. Her areas of expertise include qualitative methods, program evaluation, action research methods, teacher learning and development, mentoring models and systems, school reform, content-area literacy, brain-based pedagogy, and instructional strategies and methods.
She is also a methodologist and a committee member of multiple dissertations.
Dr. Smith is a columnist on career management for engineers and technical fields in Consulting-Specifying Engineer magazine.
- MEd, Administration and Supervision. National-Louis University.
- PhD, Educational Leadership: Curriculum and Instruction. Emphases: Teacher Education, Secondary Literacy, English Methods. University of Denver.
- MA, Secondary Education. University of Akron.
- BA. University of Colorado. Boulder, Co.
- EDU 7700 Qualitative Methods
- EDT 6070 Education Technology Leadership
- EDI 6010 Differentiated Instruction and Theory
- EDU 6230 Content Reading in Middle and Secondary Schools
- EDU 6500 Curriculum Construction
- EDU 6525 Teacher as Practitioner
- EDU 6535 Teacher as Leader
- EDU 6380 Assessment, Evaluation, and Data-driven Decision Making
Prior Academic and Professional Experience
- Department Chair, Department of Curriculum, Language, and Literacy. Concordia University Chicago
- Lead Program Evaluator, The Ivanovich Group, Inc.
- Resident Principal, Lindbloom Math and Science Academy
- Chicago Public Schools Training Manager
- PSAV Presentation Services, an International Event Technology Corporation
- Assistant Professor, Western Oregon University
- Assessment Professor, Kent State University
Academic and Professional Highlights
- "From Teacher to Teacher Leader." Smith, A. and C. Theard-Griggs (under contract). Columbus, Oh.: Pearson Higher Education, Inc.
- "2006 Guidelines for the Preparation of Teachers of English Language Arts." Stover, L., H. Foster, A. Smith, et al. Urbana, Ill.: National Council of Teachers of English, columns, 2007.
- "Mastering the Common Graces in Business." Consulting-Specifying Engineer, August 2012.
- "Tips for Effective Meetings." Consulting-Specifying Engineer, April 2012.
- "Building Better Business Relationships." Consulting-Specifying Engineer, November 2011.
- "Opening Doors for Staff Success." Consulting-Specifying Engineer, June 2011.
- "Industry Research and Report: Smart Grid." Ivanovich, M and A. Smith. Danfoss, Inc., 2011.
- "Industry Research and Report: High-Performance Buildings." Ivanovich, M. and A. Smith. Danfoss, Inc., 2011.
- "The Making of a Mentor." Consulting-Specifying Engineer, January 2011.
- "A Roadmap for Training Engineers." Consulting-Specifying Engineer, March 2010.
- "Principals as Mentors in Teacher Education: How Pre-service Teachers’ Voices Informed Practice." Varrati, A and A. Smith. Academic Leadership Online Journal 6, no. 4 (Oct. 9, 2008).
- "Mentoring Engineers: Myths, Motivations, and Models." Consulting-Specifying Engineer 43, no. 2 (2008): 26–30.
- "Book Group Fosters New Dialogue with Community." Smith, A. and M. Girod. The Center for Teaching and Learning 1, no. 2 (2006).
- "A Formula for Interactivity in Technical Presentations, Part 3 of 3." HPAC Engineering Fastrack, June 2006.
- "Power Point Tips: Less Is More, More or Less, Part 2 of 3." HPAC Engineering Fastrack, May 2006.
- "Foundations and Fine Points for Effective Presentations, Part 1 of 3." HPAC Engineering Fastrack, April 2006.
- "Preparing Today’s Teachers for Tomorrow: Faculty Book Club." The Center for Teaching and Learning Newsletter 1, no. 2 (2005): 2–3.
- "The Mission of the Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy." Buckley, E. G., D. Debenedictis, J. G. Henderson, E. Hyun, K. Krasny, S. Leafgren and A. Smith. Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy 1 (2004): 5–8. Research and Reports.
- "A Qualitative Research Study on SIEMENS Consulting Engineer Program." Ivanovich, M. and A. Smith, SEIMENS, Inc., 2011.
- "Creating Edu-Entrepreneurs: A Global Higher Education Partnership." Association of School and Curriculum Development, 2012, Co-presenter.
- "Identifying Social Factors Necessary for Successful Cultural and Academic Engagement for Amerasian Youth in Okinawa, Hawaii." International Conference on Education, Proposal Accepted 2012, Co-presenter.
- "Lighting the Way to a Quality English as a Second Language Endorsement Program for Teachers: An Empirical Program Evaluation." Illinois Association of Teacher Educators, Nov. 2011.
- "Alternatives to Lecture: Discussion Starters as a Way to Engage in Content." Concordia University Fall Faculty Professional Development, 2011, co-presenter.
- "The Cohort Continuum: Managing Cohort Behavior." Concordia University Fall Faculty Professional Development, 2011, co-presenter.
- "So you want me to revise my paper? Writing and APA for Graduate Students." Concordia University Fall Faculty Professional Development, 2011, co-presenter.
- "Urban Education for Suburban Educators." Concordia University Fall Faculty Professional Development, 2010.
- "Preparing Candidates to Connect Teaching and Learning Using the Teacher Work Sample." American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education National Convention, 2007.
Awards and Honors
- Grants New Schools for Chicago, 2012, $250,000
- Catalyst Charter School Network, Spring 2012
- Member of grant team, Baxter, Inc. Technology Grant, $25,000
- Lindblom Math and Science Academy, 2010 NASA Seed Grant, High School Robotics, $5,000
- Lindblom Math and Science Academy, 2009 Faculty Research Grant, $1,800
- Western Oregon University, 2006 Faculty Professional Development Grant, $725
- Western Oregon University, 2005, 2006 Teacher Candidate Assessment System, $30,000
- Ohio Department of Education, 2005 Faculty Research Grant, $5,200
- Kent State University Faculty Research Grant, 2004, $5,200
- Kent State University Compass Montessori Charter High School, 2002, $7.5 million
- State of Colorado, member of grant-writing team