Andrew Pederson, MFA
Associate Professor of EnglishCoordinator, The Noetic Experience
College of Arts and Sciences
Professor Pederson teaches courses including Introduction to Creative Writing, Playwriting, Creek and Roman Mythology, Modern Drama, Contemporary Theatre, The Noetic Experience through the Humanities, Seminar in Creative Writing, Fiction Writing, Content and Methods of Secondary Education - English and Writing About Literature.
His main area of research encompasses creative writing. Previously, Professor Pederson chaired the English department at Walther Lutheran High School in Melrose Park, Ill. He has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 2009.
- MFA, Playwriting, Goddard College; Plainfield, Vt.
- MA, English, The Bread Loaf School of English at Middlebury College; Middlebury, Vt.
- BA, Lutheran Secondary Education/Theatre, Concordia University River Forest; River Forest, Ill.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- Resident Playwright, The Saltbox Theatre Collective
- "The General's Cat", Saltbox Theatre Collective, Abbie-Fest XXVII, Mary-Arrchie Theatre, Chicago (2015)
- The Uncommon Core: Creative Writing, Composition, and the ELA Classroom, Chicagoland Lutheran Education Foundation Annual Networking Conference, Walther Lutheran High School, Melrose Park IL (2014)
- Yellow Light, Voices of the South Theatre, Memphis, TN (2014)
- Digital Essay Assessment, Lutheran Education Foundation National Convocation, Milwaukee, (2013)
- Shaping Real Life, Past and Present , With Jayme McGhan-Concordia University Chicago, Sheila Curran Bernard -SUNY:Albany, Craig Thornton - SUNY Jefferson Community College, Dramatists Guild National Convention, Chicago, IL (2013)
- His play, June First, has been nominated for the Source Festival in Washington D.C. The nominations for the full-length plays come from established directors, playwrights or producers. Three plays will be selected and receive a full production of their work at the Source Theatre in Washington D.C. in June 2012.
- His play, An Open House was performed as part of The Morris Theater Guild 2nd Annual 24 hour Theatre Festival.
- "An Insider's Guide to Love in the Afterlife,” The Pitkin Review, Summer 2009.
- "End of Summer,” Ottawa Arts Review, Winter 2008.
- Concordia University Chicago Summer Research Grant for New Play Development (2014)
- Concordia University Chicago Faculty Research Grant (2011)