Dr. Mangan joined Concordia-Chicago's faculty in the fall of 2012 and currently teaches quantitative research and school finance courses. Her areas of expertise include research methods, school finance and statewide education policy.
- PhD, Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis; Distributed Minor in Statistics - University of Wisconsin; Madison, WI
- MSEd, Psychological Services - University of Pennsylvania; Philadelphia, PA
- BS, Psychology - University of Illinois; Champaign, IL
Academic and Professional Highlights
Awards and Honors
- Concordia University Chicago Research Award (2013-2014)
- National Louis University Faculty Excellence Award in Service (2012)
- David L. Clark National Graduate Student Research Seminar (2007)
- Wisconsin-Spencer Doctoral Research Program Fellow (2004-2007)
- Trial Expert - Duane Morris LLP, Jenner & Block LLP; Chicago Urban League v. Illinois State Board of Ed
- Principal Investigator - Illinois School Improvement Grants Study
- Assistant Professor - National Louis University (Chicago, IL)
- Co-Chair, Illinois School Finance Adequacy Taskforce
- Consultant- Lawrence O. Picus and Associates, LLC (North Hollywood, CA)
- Arkansas School Uses of Resources Study
- Wyoming School Uses of Resources and Instructional Improvement Study
- Washington Successful Districts Study
- Program Assistant - Consortium for Policy Research in Education (CPRE) (Madison, WI)
- Wisconsin School Finance Adequacy Initiative
- Evaluator- Learning Point Associates (Naperville, IL) & Research for Better Schools (Philadelphia, PA)
- North Central Eisenhower Mathematics and Science Consortium
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Consortium for Mathematics and Science Education
- Children’s Outpatient Therapist & Adult Intake Supervisor - Community Council for Mental Health and Mental Retardation (Philadelphia, PA)
- Founding Chair & Member, Professional Review Panel, Illinois State Board of Education (2018-2021)
- Chair, Equity Committee (2018-2020)
- Member, Evaluative Study Committee (2018-2020)
- Member, Recalibration Committee (2018-2020)
- Member, Annual Spending Plan Committee (2018-2020)
- Member, Reporting Committee (2020-2021)
- Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Education Finance
- Chair, Financial Oversight and Review Committee, District 97
- Member & Past Officer, Fiscal SIG, American Educational Research Association
- Member, Association for Education Finance and Policy
- Featured scholarship & policy work on Illinois school funding
- Pogue, P. (July 19, 2019). Education is key project on Illinois public school funding: Oral history of Michelle Turner Mangan, Ph.D. Springfield, IL: Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library.
- WTTW education article (Masterson, August 23, 2016)
- Television segment on Chicago Tonight (Friedman, September 21, 2016)
Mangan, M. T. (2017, Summer). Book Review: Grit: The power of passion and perseverance. Lutheran Education Journal, p. 29-31.
Jacoby, M., & Mangan, M. T. (2016, Summer). Innovation in school funding. Illinois Association of School Business Officials Update Magazine, 23(4).
Mangan, M. T. (2015). An analysis of the Illinois State Board Education’s proration method for managing cuts in Fiscal Years 2013-2015. Submitted as an Affidavit in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois as part of Chicago Urban League, et al. v. Illinois State Board of Education.
Mangan, M. T. (2015). Illinois school improvement grants: Strategies and conditions for improving student outcomes. River Forest, Illinois: Author.
Mangan, M. T. (2014, September). Guaranteed tax base. Encyclopedia of Education Economics and Finance. Edited by D. J. Brewer and L. O. Picus. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Mangan, M. T. (2012, November). An examination of whether minority status of Illinois school districts determines ELL funding from the Illinois State Board of Education. (Prepared for Jenner & Block as an expert report submitted in Chicago Urban League v. Illinois State Board of Education). Chicago: Author.
Mangan, M. T., Martire, R., & Harkin, S. (2019, May). Evidence-based funding: An update from the Professional Review Panel. Presentation to the Illinois ASBO Annual Conference, Schaumburg, IL.
Mangan, M. T., & Harkin, S. (2018, October). Professional Review Panel Evidence-Based Funding. Presentation to the Illinois ASBO Delegate Advisory Assembly, Naperville, IL.
Mangan, M. T. (2017, March). Illinois school finance adequacy: Examining the evidence-based model through legal and leadership lenses. Keynote presentation at Southern Illinois University School Law and Leadership Day, Carbondale, IL.
Mangan, M. T. (2016, December). Research Supporting the Evidence-Based Model. Invited presentation to the Illinois School Funding Reform Commission, Chicago, IL.
Mangan, M. T. (2016, August). Illinois School Finance Adequacy: Calculating the Evidence-Based Model for Statewide Policy Implementation. Invited presentation to the Illinois School Funding Reform Commission, Chicago, IL
Mangan, M. T. (2015, October). ISBE’s proration method for managing cuts: The cause for a disparate school funding impact on minority districts. Presented at the Illinois Education Research Council Annual Conference, Lisle, IL.
Mangan, M. T. (2014, October). Illinois school improvement grants: Lessons from school-level case studies. Invited presentation at ISBE FY15 SIG Fall Grantee Convening, Lisle, IL.
Mangan, M. T. (2014, March). Illinois school improvement grants: A statewide qualitative school-level exploration of successful strategies and conditions for improving student outcomes. Presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Education Finance and Policy, San Antonio, TX.
Mangan, M. T. (2014, March). State of the states and provinces: Illinois. Policy update presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Education Finance and Policy, San Antonio, TX.
Mangan, M. T. (2017, April). School funding formula reform: The evidence-based model. Invited presentation at the Illinois Association of School Board Officials Annual Conference, Peoria, Illinois.