Dr. Rekha Rajan is the program leader for the master of arts in grant writing, management and evaluation (GME) program. She currently teaches Introduction to Grants; Grant Management, Budgeting, Grant Writing and Third-source Funding; Theories and Models of Evaluation; Principles and Methods of Evaluation; and the capstone course for the program.
Her areas of expertise include arts education, program evaluation, and arts assessment. She conducts evaluations of arts partnerships and studies arts integration in the classroom, as well as how children’s participation in musical theater impacts their personal and social development. She is the author of the books Integrating the Performing Arts in Grades K-5 (SAGE, 2012); Grant Writing: Practical Strategies for Scholars and Professionals (RLE, 2015); and Children’s Experiences in Musical Theater (RLE, 2016). She is also the co-chair of the Teaching of Evaluation, Topical Interest Group (TIG) with the American Evaluation Association
- EdD, Arts and Humanities, Music Education - Teachers College, Columbia University; New York City, NY
- EdM, Arts and Humanities, Music Education - Teachers College, Columbia University; New York City, NY
- MA, Early Childhood Professions - Roosevelt University; Chicago, IL
- BM, Music Performance - Roosevelt University; Chicago, IL
Academic and Professional Highlights
Awards and Honors
- The J. William Fulbright-Nehru Research and Teaching Scholarship Award, 2013-2014
- Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award Nominations, National College of Education, National-Louis University, Chicago, IL, 2010-2012.
- Florence K. Geffen Dissertation Scholarship Award, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY, 2010.
- PG Foundation Fellowship, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY, 2007-2009.
- The Impact of Performing Arts Attendance on the Cognitive Health and Wellbeing of Older Adults. PI: Rajan, R.S. (with Manning, L.K., Rajan, K.B., & Evans, D.) National Endowment for the Arts, Grant #15-3800-7012 May 1, 2015 – March 30, 2017 $22,250.
- Providing Access to Community-Based Musical Theater for Older Adults. PI: Rajan, R.S.Chicago Community Trust: Supporting Artistic and Cultural Diversity September, 2015 – March, 2016 $15,000.
- All About Me!: Designing Child-Centered Music and Movement Activities for Young Children Greater Chicago Area Chapter, Early Childhood Music and Movement Association and the Chicago Children’s Museum. Funding awarded by the Early Childhood Music and Movement Association for the implementation of the Fall, 2012 workshop.
- Using Videotaping to Promote Student Teachers’ Self-Reflection and Teaching Quality during Field Experience (with Leys, B. and Bliss, L.). Department of Early Childhood Education, National-Louis University, Year 1 Funding awarded by National-Louis University Faculty Development Grant.
Invited Grant Workshops and Panels
- Lead Panel Presenter, Grant Writing Panel, ICCTE Conference for Educators, Trinity Christian College, Palos Heights, IL, May 23, 2016.
- From Beginning to End: Fundamentals of Grant Writing and Program Evaluation. August 8, 2014, Arts & Business Council of Chicago.
- The Good, The Bad, The Money: Uncovering the Basics of Writing and Getting Grants. April 21, 2014. Concordia University Chicago.
Arts Evaluation and Assessment: Measuring Impact in Schools and Communities, (with Chand O'Neal, I.), Palgrave Macmillan. 2017.
Musical Theater in Schools: Purpose, Process, Performance. Oxford University Press: New York, NY. 2017.
In the Spotlight: Children’s Experiences in Musical Theater. Rowman & Littlefield Education: Lanham, MD. 2016.
Songwriting: Strategies for Creativity and Self- Expression. (Hauser, C., Rajan, R.S. & Tomal, D.) NAfME/Rowman & Littlefield Education: Lanham, MD. 2016.
Grant Writing: Practical Strategies for Scholars and Professionals. (Rajan, R.S. & Tomal, D.) Rowman & Littlefield Publishers: Lanham, MD. 2015.
Integrating the Performing Arts in Grades K-5. SAGE, CorwinPress: Thousand Oaks, CA. 2012.
Program Evaluation: Stages Education Engagement Pilot Program. Chicago Humanities Festival, Chicago, IL, 2014.
Program Evaluation: Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra and the Talent Development Program (Horowitz, R., Kleiman, A., Rajan, R., Beaubrun, E.). Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Atlanta, GA, 2013.
Interchange Program Evaluation Year Four Report (Horowitz, R., Rajan, R.). Interchange Arts Partnership. St. Louis, MO, 2013.
Interchange Program Evaluation Year Three Report (with Horowitz, R.). Interchange Arts Partnership. St. Louis, MO, 2012.
"Integrating the Arts in Early Childhood," Early Childhood International Seminar, Concordia University Chicago, River Forest, IL, May 16, 2016.
"The youngest Broadway stars: Exploring the ambitions and anxieties of professional child performers." American Educational Research Association, Arts & Inquiry in the Visual and Performing Arts SIG, San Francisco, CA., 2013.
"Where is the music?: Teacher candidates’ perceptions and practice with integrating music in the classroom." Association for Teacher Educators, Atlanta, GA., 2013.
"Healthy Minds, Musical Bodies." Early Childhood Music and Movement Association, Greater Chicago Area Chapter Fall Workshop, Columbia College, Chicago, IL., 2012.
"Using creative drama to foster literacy and social learning in young children." (with Field, S.B.). Invited Speaker Series, UIC, Chicago, IL., 2012.
"Shake it Up! Making and using shakers with preschoolers." (with Corbett, M.). Early Childhood Music and Movement Association, Greater Chicago Area Chapter Spring Workshop, National-Louis University, Skokie, IL., 2012.
"Creating a culture of music." Early Childhood Music and Movement Association, Greater Chicago Area Chapter Fall Workshop, National-Louis University, Skokie, IL., 2011.
"Using Videotaping to Promote Student Teachers’ Self-Reflection and Teaching Quality during Field Experience." (with Leys, B., and Bliss, L.). National Institute for Early Childhood Professional Development, National Association for the Education of Young Children, Providence, RI., 2011.
“Top ten issues in early childhood music and movement education.” Early Childhood Music and Movement Association, Greater Chicago Area Chapter Spring Workshop, National-Louis University, Skokie, IL., 2011.
“Facilitating Student Teachers’ Self-Reflections through Videotaping.” Panel Presentation at the 10th Annual Practitioner Research Forum, Center for Practitioner Research, National-Louis University, Skokie, IL., 2011.