Kevin Borchers, PhD
Assistant Professor of Christian EducationAssistant Director of the Director of Christian Education (DCE) Program
College of Education
Dr. Borchers teaches Christian education courses to students pursuing careers as professional church workers. He focuses on equipping and training lifespan educational leaders for service in the church.
Among the courses he teaches are Parish Education Perspectives, Parish Teaching I & II, DCE Senior Seminar, Administration of Parish Education, Intro to DCE Ministry, and Youth Ministry Theory & Practice. He also advises the DCE Student Leadership Council.
Dr. Borchers has been a member of the Concordia-Chicago faculty since 2008. Prior to his role at CUC, he served as a parish DCE for 27 years.
- PhD, Organizational Leadership - Concordia University Chicago; River Forest, IL
- MS, Family Life - Concordia University Nebraska; Seward, NE
- BA, Education - Concordia University Chicago; River Forest, IL
Prior Professional and Academic Positions
- Director of Christian Education - St. Peter Lutheran Church, Arlington Heights, IL (January 1996 to July 2008)
- Director of Christian Education - Trinity Lutheran Church, Wausau, WI (August 1989 to January 1996)
- Teacher, Concordia Lutheran School - Peoria, IL (July 1983 to August 1989)
- Director of Christian Education - Zion Lutheran Church, Detroit Lakes, MN (June 1981 to July 1983)
Academic and Professional Highlights
- Christian Education
- Faith Development
- Organizational Leadership
- Parish Education
- Servant Leadership
- Teaching Methods
- Youth Ministry
- "Who are these kids?" Best Practices for Ministry Conference; Phoenix, AZ. February 19, 2016.
- "Teaching the millennial generation." (With Arfsten, D.). Concordia Seminary - St. Louis. April 9, 2014.
- "Ministry in the emerging culture." Lutheran Education Association Convocation; Cincinnati, OH. 2011.
- Borchers, K. L., Schultz, G. G., & Stengl, R. (2011). Ministry in the emerging culture. In D. R. Hansen & B. A. Mai (Eds.), Together: Preparing Christian educators for the future (pp. 221-229). Portland, OR: Concordia University.
- Borchers, K. L. (2010). Adjusting our sights. Lutheran Education Journal, 143(4), Retrieved from http://lej.cuchicago.edu/columns/dce-expressions…adjusting-our-sights/ Borchers, K. L. (2009).
- Book review: Confirmation basics. Lutheran Education Journal, 143(1), 43-46.