Dr. Joan McGarry teaches classes focusing on all areas of study that prepare graduate students who have a desire to teach.
She also prepares CUC Teacher Candidates for the Illinois state license exam,EDTPA, through online webinars and intensive writing sessions. Currently, Dr. McGarry serves on the Peer Review Committee and several faculty committees within the College of Education. She serves in various capacities as a member of Doctoral Dissertation Committees. Dr. McGarry has also taught extensively for the Department of Leadership.
- EdD, Curriculum, Instruction and Educational Psychology - Loyola University; Chicago, IL
- MA, Administrative Supervision - Governors State University; University Park, IL
- MA, Communication (emphasis on Instructional Technology) - Governors State University; University Park, IL
- BA, Secondary English - Governors State University; University Park, IL
Academic and Professional Highlights
Prior Professional and Academic Positions
- Memberships: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Illinois Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, Co Chair 2004-2005
- South Suburban Illinois Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, President, 2004-2006, Secretary, 2003
- Illinois Principal Association
- Phi Delta Kappa
- Guest Lecturer for Golden Apple recipients, 2010
- Peer Reviewer Appropriations Act Funding, Office of Innovation and Improvement, Dept. of Education, 2010
- Superintendent Endorsement, 2010
- Member, ISBE Growth Model Task Force, 2005-2007
- RTI Consultant for Secondary learning,West 40, 2009
- TFN Teacher Recognition Award for Excellence, 1998
- Student Teacher of the Year, GSU, 1994
- Among her research interest are school improvement, instructional technology, leadership, family partnerships, social justice, responsive classrooms and literacy.