IMPORTANT CHANGES TO STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE POLICY
Concordia University Chicago requires that ALL international students must have major medical coverage. All international students are automatically enrolled in the Student Accident and Sickness plan administered by First Agency. Provided below is information in regards to the insurance policy:
Please contact Magdalena Adamowska at 708-209-3018 if you have any questions.
If you are a student-athlete for the 2015-2016 school year, please refer to the following link http://cucougars.com/sports/2010/7/23/ATH%20TRAIN.aspx?tab=athletictraining for information about athletic insurance coverage.
All Other Undergraduate Students
The New Law
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires everyone legally living in the U.S. to have health insurance beginning Jan. 1, 2014.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) gives millions of individuals with too little or no insurance access to health plans at different cost levels. The law also provides financial assistance to those who qualify based on family size and income.
- GetCoveredIllinois.gov. This is the health insurance marketplace site for Illinois, where you can shop and sign up for insurance.
- GetCoveredIllinois hotline, (888) 809-2796. This help desk answers questions about signing up and shopping for insurance in Illinois and Medicaid.
- Healthcare.gov. This is the federal government website links to the health insurance exchanges offered across the country
- www.getcoveredamerica.org/enroll/. Enter your Zip code to be connected to the health insurance marketplace that serves your state
Concordia University has always been concerned about the health and well-being of its students. We are pleased to inform you that Concordia University provides ALL undergraduate students with a Supplemental Accident medical plan at NO COST.
The key points to the accident plan are as follows:
- The plan provides accidental injury coverage for all students from August 1, 2015 to August 1, 2016 for any on campus activity including intramurals and intercollegiate athletics or while attending or participating in any university sponsored and supervised off campus activity.
- The plan has a $100 deductible and $5,000 medical maximum. Any student medical expenses incurred in excess of plan limits or not covered by the plan will be the responsibility of the student.
- This is a program of supplemental coverage designed to pick up eligible balances left by the students’ primary insurance plan.
- If the student does not have primary coverage then this plan will assist with covering expenses incurred to the limits stated in the policy.
- This plan does NOT cover medical expenses related to illnesses, physical exams, immunizations, or any other expenses not related to accidental injuries.
While the aforementioned accident plan does provide a layer of support the University does strongly recommend that every student obtain comprehensive medical coverage. If you are currently without a primary health care plan and have interest in obtaining coverage for the upcoming school year there are a number of short-term plans available that are flexible and affordable that could provide you with a basic level of coverage. The following link https://www.1stagency.com/shortterm.php will provide you with some coverage options and quotes. Please note this is not a University sponsored plan although the plans are available through First Agency, INC. who is a longtime insurance provider for the institution. In addition, please understand these short term medical plans do not meet the minimum requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
As a student your well-being is our utmost concern and as such we want to make sure that you are well informed of the many changes that are impacting student health care. If you have any questions about student health insurance options or health services in general please do not hesitate to contact The Office of the Dean of Students at 708-209-3005 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.