Reformation 500 Celebration Day
Saturday, October 28, 2017
9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
CUC Campus - Concordia Triangle
Hundreds of children’s voices singing praise to God as we gather together in worship; children interacting with sixteenth-century characters; adults learning and discussing timeless truths; trumpets blasting stirring hymns; falconry, armor and puppet-shows on display; and 500 year-old documents to be viewed with awe and wonder—all this and more will be part of this region-wide Reformation Celebration Day at Concordia University Chicago. Held on CUC's campus in River Forest, this partnership with the Northern Illinois District will mark the 500th anniversary of the Reformation with fun, fellowship, education, and praise.
For Lutheran Christians, this monumental year is more than a cultural or historic observance. It is a time to give thanks to God for His work in raising-up an obscure German monk named Martin Luther, who brought the Church back to the scriptures, back to the gospel and back to Christ.
Join with us in marking the seminal event of our Church and one of the most important movements in human history!
Registration is Required
The cost for registration is $12 for adults and $5 for children 14 and under (children under 5 are free!). Registration includes "Lunch with Luther" and all of the day's activities.
Featured events include:
- A Reformation Educational Walk for children and families, including 16th century period actors.
- Drama, falconry, weapons and armor courtesy of Medieval Times
- A region-wide children’s choir (see below for participation details)
- Engaging seminar speakers for adults about the Reformation Legacy--Past, Present, and Future
- An opportunity to view J.S. Bach's personal Bible and 40 other authentic sixteenth-century Reformation-era rare books
- Youth activities with Concordia Youth Ministry leaders
- "Lunch with Luther"
- Culminating Festival worship service featuring the children's choir
- And more!
View our full event schedule for more details!
Adult Breakout Session Speakers and Topics
A full list of speakers and their topics is coming soon!
Children's Choir Participation
Church/school choirs and individual children are invited to join us for this special Reformation Celebration Children's choir.
Rehearsals October 28
- 11:45 a.m. - Children’s Choir Rehearsal I (mandatory for participating singers)
- 1:30 p.m. - Children’s Choir Rehearsal II (also mandatory for participating singers)
Rehearsals will take place in the McCormick Recital Hall.
There are exciting activities planned for adults and children throughout the day in which we hope singers will also participate. Please refer to the full event schedule for details.
- All children from 4th-8th grade are welcome to participate, and younger singers may participate at the discretion of their director.
- All singers are expected to become familiar with the pieces ahead of time and come prepared with the pieces and ready to sing.
- Sheet music and audio recordings will be made available online when registration opens
- Directors are welcome to use the same pieces for Reformation Sunday morning worship
- All participants must register online and complete waiver and liability forms
- Children who register to sing in the choir will receive a free participant t-shirt
- Registration costs are $12 for adults and $5 for children under the age of 12 and include lunch and all other events
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact Deaconess Betsy Karkan at Betsy.Karkan@CUChicago.edu or 708-209-3502