Celebrate intercultural learning and promote cultural awareness on campus.
Get tips from others who are the first in their family to attend college and share your experiences with them. First-generation students are defined as students whose parents have not obtained a degree from a four-year college or university.
The Office of Multicultural Student Engagement (OMSE) empowers, celebrates and advocates on behalf of all members of the CUC community because we believe in the notion of access and inclusion for all. The OMSE provides a variety of educational programs, leadership opportunities and social activities that promote intercultural learning. Our team works to retain students of color and first-generation college students at CUC, while also coordinating programs and events that support cultural awareness on campus. In addition, our office advises culturally based student organizations and provides both leadership development and peer mentoring opportunities.
The Office of Multicultural Student Engagement provides a variety of educational programs, leadership opportunities and social activities that promote intercultural learning.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration
- The annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration is a campus-wide event that celebrates the life and legacy of Dr. King with a keynote speaker, service project and interactive programs.
- Intercultural Programs
- OMSE partners with various on- and off-campus partners to offer cultural events, social activities and education programs.
Resources for First Generation College Students & Families
CUC Building Connections Mentoring/Scholarship Program for First Generation Students
Building Connections: Mentoring and Scholarship Program
As a Trailblazer, you are encouraged to apply for the Associated Colleges of Illinois Peer Mentoring Program at CUC which will provide you with financial resources and support to help get you through your first year at CUC!
- Click here to download an application. (PDF, 119 KB)
Additional Resources for First-Generation Students
- Black Student Union (BSU) - BSU is an undergraduate student club whose mission is to promote awareness and appreciation of African-American culture. Open to all CUC students.
- Latino Student Union (LSU) - LSU is an undergraduate student club whose mission is to promote awareness and appreciation of Latino culture. Open to all CUC students.