Become an ethical business leader while turning your passion for athletics into a career in sports management.
- On Campus
We offer rigorous but flexible degree programs that build students’ critical knowledge of business and sports issues.
Faculty and staff are dedicated to providing students with a well-rounded learning experience by using the latest technology, engaging classes with real-world business scenarios and hands-on learning exercises.
We offer both a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts in sports management and business. The Bachelor of Science is an in-depth business curriculum and requires a 42-hour business core with a stronger mathematics focus; while the Bachelor of Arts requires a 39-hour business core and is best suited to students who want a broad liberal arts foundation with an emphasis in business. Counselors with our Office of Admission can help you decide on the degree program that best matches your strengths and career interests.
The business core curriculum lays the foundation for your degree. These courses include:
- Business law
Sports management and business courses are designed to hone your knowledge to help you on your track to your vocation: foundations of sports management, diversity of sport, governance of sport and more. You also will choose electives from courses such as intercollegiate athletic administration of sport and sport media communication.
For details on required courses and more, please visit our online catalog.
The BA and BS in Sports Management and Business enable students to:
- Evaluate concepts of management, leadership and entrepreneurship.
- Evaluate the interrelationship between sports and media in today’s society.
- Develop and apply fundamental marketing concepts to the sport industry and consumer markets.
- Evaluate the relationship between sport finance, economic and corporate sponsorship in sports.
- Apply critical and creative thinking, problem solving, and decision-making skills as sports managers and leaders.
- Incorporate ethical and legal concepts when developing programming and providing services.
Beyond the Classroom
Valuable internship experiences offer opportunities for students to receive academic credit while gaining practical work experience in sports management.
Our campus location, close to downtown Chicago, means easy access to exciting internship and networking opportunities with sports teams and organizations. Students studying sports management and business have recently interned with minor and major league baseball and hockey teams in the Midwest.
- Athletic Director
- Athletic Communications Director
- General Manager
- Operations Manager
- Sports Agent
- Sports Broadcaster
- Sports Marketer
- Sports Publisher
- Sports Writer
Some of the companies recently hiring CUC students include:
- Chicago Sky
- Gary SouthShore RailCats
- GDA Hockey
- Palace Sports and Entertainment
- Schaumberg Boomers
- Wellspring Lutheran Services