Those who work in sports management must be familiar with sports and recreation, while also being effective leaders and business professionals.
Concordia-Chicago Sports Management Degree Overview
We offer a rigorous but flexible degree programs that build students’ critical knowledge of business and sports issues. Our faculty and staff are dedicated to providing students with a well-rounded learning experience by using the latest technology and engaging classes with real-world business scenarios and hands-on learning exercises.
Graduates with sports management degrees find career positions as athletic directors, team managers, account executives, talent scouts and more.
Sports Management Course Information
The bachelor of science in sports management is an in-depth business curriculum and requires 57 semester hours of study. The bachelor of arts in sports management requires 48 semester hours of study and is for students who want a broad liberal arts foundation with an emphasis in business. If you have questions, a counselor with our Office of Admission can help as you decide on the degree program that best matches your strengths and career interests.
You will take required courses in:
- information technology
- business law
Sports management courses cover contract law, the business of sports and strategic policy. Students also will choose electives from courses such as personal finance, small business management and advanced business law.
For details on required courses and more, please visit our online catalog.
BS* and BA Sports Management Major Outcomes
- Demonstrate the ability to apply sports business management knowledge in developing effective solutions to sports business problems and to explore opportunities.
- Demonstrate written and verbal communication skills needed in sports management and business.
- Identify and understand the legal and ethical responsibility for actions in sports management as it impacts the organization and stakeholders.
- Explain the social, business, and political impact of the global business environment of sports with real-world business scenarios.
- *Use quantitative and qualitative skills to support business of sports decisions and initiatives.
- Demonstrate technological literacy for organizational decision making in sports management.
Sports Management Major Opportunities
Concordia University Chicago’s supervised work experience offers opportunities for students to receive academic credit while gaining practical work experience in sports management.
Our campus’s location, amid the Chicago metro area, means easy access to exciting internship and networking opportunities with sports teams and organizations. Students studying sports management have recently interned with minor league baseball and hockey teams in the Midwest.
Some of the companies recently hiring CUC students include:
- Chicago Sky
- GDA Hockey
- Northwestern Mutual
- Palace Sports and Entertainment
- Wellspring Lutheran Services