At Concordia-Chicago, accounting students become not just number-crunchers, they become critical thinkers and ethical business leaders.
Concordia-Chicago Accounting Major Overview
A career in accounting has been described as one of the best opportunities for employment, with (U.S. News & World Report and Fortune) considering accounting positions to be in high demand in a broad range of fields. The College of Business offers accounting majors the opportunity to pursue either a BA in Business Administration or a BS in Business Administration either of which offer graduates versatility and growth potential in their careers.
Accounting Major Information
The bachelor of arts in accounting is for students who want a broad liberal arts foundation with an emphasis in business. The bachelor of science provides a more intensive business core. If you have questions, a counselor with our Office of Admission can help as you decide on the degree program that best matches your strengths and career interests.
The bachelor of arts degree in accounting requires 51 semester hours of study. Students in both degree tracks take required courses in:
- consumer behavior
- information technology
The bachelor of science degree requires 57 semester hours of study. Students will be able to select electives from courses such as:
- individual tax accounting
- advanced business law
- project management
For details about required courses and course descriptions, please visit our online catalog.
BS* and BA Accounting Major Outcomes
- Apply the accounting principles to develop opportunities and sound solutions to business problems.
- Demonstrate business verbal and written communication skills for working with others using accounting principles and financial information.
- Identify and demonstrate understanding of the ethical, legal, and social responsibilities of individuals, organizations, and stakeholders in the practice of accounting.
- Explain accepted accounting procedures in the global business environment.
- *Use quantitative and qualitative knowledge and skills to make sound accounting related decisions.
- Identify and assess the impact and benefits of relevant changing technology on accounting practice.
Accounting Major Opportunities
Concordia University Chicago's supervised work experience offers opportunities for students to receive academic credit while gaining practical work experience in the accounting field.
Downtown Chicago is a short train ride from campus, which means easy access to exciting internship and networking opportunities. Large corporations and small start-ups in Chicago, as well as the vibrant Oak Park and River Forest communities are at your fingertips.
Some of the companies recently hiring CUC students include:
- Aldi USA
- Apex Systems
- Chicago Sky
- Morgan Stanley Wealth Management
- Northwestern Mutual