Entrepreneurship and Innovation
New Fall 2019
In pursuing an entrepreneurship and innovation degree from Concordia University Chicago, you will build a solid foundation of critical and creative thinking skills and learn to be entrepreneurial, evaluate opportunity, manage risk and learn from outcomes. These abilities are integral to sustaining business success.
The College of Business is offering a new undergraduate major in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. This entrepreneurship and innovation major will provide students with a unique toolbox of business skills that will help them with everything from planning, funding and launching a business to leading it to stability and steady growth.
As opposed to focusing on the standard business goals of profitability and return on investment, the entrepreneurship/innovation major will be more focused on allowing goals to organically develop, along with tactics like experimental marketing and bootstrapping. Focusing on innovation and entrepreneurship will provide undergraduate students an opportunity to explore new organizational types – profit and non-profit, startups, as well as new and unique solutions to problems and develop necessary skill sets to become an effective intrapraneur as well as an innovative thinker. Students will examine current situations and offer innovative solutions by employing creativity, innovation, and an entrepreneurial focus.
Entrepreneurship and Innovation Course Information
The bachelor of arts in entrepreneurship and innovation degree, which requires 48 semester hours of study, is for students who want a broad liberal arts foundation with an emphasis in business. If you have questions, a counselor with our Office of Admission can help as you decide.
Students in both degree tracks take required courses in:
- information technology
- organizational behavior
- business law
Students working toward a bachelor of arts degree will be able to select electives from courses such as personal finance, small business management, sports management, corporate finance and advanced business law.
For details about required courses and course descriptions, please visit our online catalog.
BA Entrepreneurship and Innovation Major Outcomes
- Identify entrepreneurial and innovative opportunities for different organizational structures i.e., business, government, or social organizations.
- Design a conceptual and a functional business plan for today’s global economy.
- *Use quantitative and qualitative skills for decision-making in an entrepreneurial and innovative environment.
- Apply relevant technology and research information for competitive advantage in an entrepreneurial and innovative environment.
- Demonstrate understanding of entrepreneurism in diverse organizational contexts, including start-ups, small and mid sized businesses, and corporate ventures.
- Demonstrate understanding of business law and ethical decision-making as it relates to the business, employees, and stakeholders.
Entrepreneurship and Innovation Major Opportunities
Concordia-Chicago’s supervised work experience offers opportunities for students to receive academic credit while gaining practical work experience in management.
The campus’s proximity to Chicago and public transportation provides easy access to exciting internship and networking opportunities. Everything from large corporations to small start-up firms, nonprofit organizations to advertising agencies build their businesses in Chicago and the nearby suburbs.
Companies hiring CUC students include:
- Aldi USA
- Apex Systems
- GDA Hockey
- Palace Sports and Entertainment
- Wellspring Lutheran Services