Academic Status and Probation

A student in academic good standing has a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. Successful progress means that a student has completed a minimum of 67 percent [credits successfully earned/term cumulative credits attempted] of all coursework attempted in a given academic term. This formula for successful progress is the same as federal financial aideligibility requirements.

An academic warning is issued to a student whose GPA for any term is below 2.0, but whose cumulative GPA is at least 2.0.

Probation is a set of academic conditions governing coursework, not-for-credit University-sponsored activities, and/or campus employment placed on a student in the semester after his or her cumulative GPA falls below 2.0.

Continued Probation is a similar set of academic conditions placed on a student, who while on probation has failed to raise his or her minimum GPA to at least 2.0, but has a GPA of at least 2.0 in the next term. Successful progress requirements apply in this case as well.

Academic Suspension is a sanction. Any student on probation failing to raise his or her cumulative GPA to at least 2.0, and unable to earn a GPA of at least a 2.0 in his or her next term, is placed on academic suspension for a term of one calendar year.

All students are required to maintain academic good standing. Those failing to maintain that status are subject to the following actions:

•   Any student earning a term GPA of less than 2.0, but having a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 shall be subject to an academic warning. He or she will receive a letter from the Vice President for Student Life informing them of their status, and the requirements of this condition. Warned students are required to meet with an academic advisor no later than the first week of the following semester to discuss their course scheduling, and to develop a plan for academic success.

•   Any student earning a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 shall be subject to probation. He or she will receive a letter from the Vice President for Student Life informing them of their status, and the requirements of this condition. Students on probation will be required to meet with the Director of the Academic Center for Excellence to develop an academic success contract. Students then will have one semester to regain academic good standing.

In a case where a student on probation has failed to regain academic good standing by the end of the first semester of probation, but has earned a semester GPA of at least 2.0 in the immediately succeeding semester, the student will be allowed to continue his or her academic pursuits on continued probation, and will remain on continued probation as long as his or her term GPA is at least 2.0, and successful progress requirements are met. For example:

     Semester 1: cumulative GPA 1.50

     Semester 2 (probation) term GPA 2.25; cumulative GPA 1.875

     Semester 3 (continued probation) term GPA 2.5; cumulative GPA 2.08

     (good standing restored)

If the student is unable to earn a term GPA of at least a 2.0 by the end of the semester of continued probation, the student shall be placed on academic suspension.

Any student who has a cumulative GPA of less than a 2.0, fails to earn good standing, and fails to obtain a term GPA of at least 2.0 during the first term of probation shall be placed on academic suspension.

Any student who fails all courses in any term shall be placed on academic suspension.

Any student who is on continued probation may enroll in courses up to, but no more than 15 credit hours in the next semester, and will be required to retake those courses that he or she has previously earned an “F” and/or “D” as soon as possible. Students on probation or continued probation shall not be enrolled for independent or directed study, web, and/or correspondence courses.

The Vice President for Student Life shall have the discretion to limit and/or modify terms of the participation in the not-for-credit, University-sponsored activities, and/or the on-campus employment of students who are not in academic good standing.

A student may appeal his or her academic suspension in the following manner:

A. A student on academic suspension may appeal for reinstatement to an appeals board composed of the following members: Vice President for Student Life, Director of Academic Advising, Director of the Academic Center for Excellence, and a faculty member appointed by the Vice President for Academics.

B. The decision of the appeals board is final.

C. A student is allowed only one such appeal during his or her academic residency at Concordia University Chicago.

A student may apply for readmission to Concordia University Chicago after academic suspension only after one calendar year from the date of suspension, and only if they have successfully completed courses from an accredited college or university totaling 12 credit hours, and having a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.

Dean’s List- The Dean’s List is composed of degree-seeking students (i.e. baccalaureate degree) who have met the following standards: An grade point average of 3.62 or better in a given semester at Concordia, good disciplinary standing and an academic work load of not less than twelve GPA semester hours (i.e., 12 hours beyond those taken on the Pass/DF Grade Option).

The Incomplete (IA–IF) Grade:

A grade of “incomplete” is awarded by an instructor when, because of circumstances beyond the control of the student (e.g. illness, death in the family, and the like) the student needs more time to complete the course with the greatest possible achievement. The request for a grade of incomplete must be student initiated. The instructor determines approval of the incomplete. Incomplete grades range from IA to IF. The “I” indicates an incomplete grade; the second letter (A –F) indicates the default grade if one is not submitted at the end of the six-week period. An “incomplete” grade must be resolved within six (6) weeks of the end of the term (fall, spring, summer) in which the grade was received. At that time the instructor will assign a grade. Permission for additional time beyond the six-week deadline may be granted only with the approval of the instructor and the Registrar. Whether or not the student is enrolled during the following term has no effect upon this completion date.

University Withdrawal - Degree-seeking students who desire to withdraw from the University are to consult with the Dean of Students office and fill out the University Withdrawal Form. Withdrawal is not official until these responsibilities have been met. Failure to follow this procedure will result in a grade of “F” rather than a grade of “W.” After the 10th week of the semester, grades of “W” will be granted only for extraordinary circumstances as approved by the Dean of Students. Students who do not maintain continuous enrollment at Concordia University from semester to semester (excluding the Summer term) will be automatically withdrawn from the University as of their last semester of attendance, unless the student is eligible and files for “Stop-Out” status.

Stop-out Status - Stop-out students are students who are currently enrolled at Concordia University who wish to halt their academic progress for one or more semesters before resuming their program. To be considered for Stop-Out Status the student must submit the Stop-Out Status Form to  Dean of Students. Students wishing to be placed on Stop-Out Status within a currently enrolled semester may only do so through the 12th week of the semester. After the 12th week, a student must apply for withdrawal from the University.

The “stop-out” period may not exceed one academic year. Only under extraordinary circumstances as approved by the Registrar may the “stop-out” status be renewed beyond the one-year limit.

Such students’ records will be maintained in the current student files. Students on “stop-out” status need not apply for readmission, but must report to the Registrar’s Office before resuming their studies. Students in this category are only eligible for financial aid during their actual semesters of attendance; likewise, verification of enrollment can only be done for actual semesters in attendance.

Readmission - A student who has officially withdrawn (not stopped-out) and plans to return to Concordia should request a “Readmission Application.” This form is to be completed and addressed to the Dean of Students at least seven days prior to the beginning of the semester. The Readmission Committee will take no action if satisfactory arrangements have not been made for the payment of any outstanding financial obligations. Students being readmitted will return under the same academic status they had at their last date of attendance.

Requirements on Interrupted Programs - Undergraduate students who interrupt their degree programs for more than 3 years (36 months) must comply with the degree requirements in effect at the time of re-entry to Concordia. Students who change their degree program must comply with degree requirements in effect at the time of the change; program changes become official at the Census Date following the petition to change their degree program. Students returning within the 3-year period and staying in the same degree program as when they left may complete either the degree requirements from the catalog of the year they began at Concordia, or those in effect when they re-enter. Students cannot combine or mix requirements from the two different catalogs. Students electing to remain with the program requirements from the original date of entry are subject to any changes, however, in state or professional certification requirements during the interim.

The ultimate responsibility for compliance with academic requirements for graduation, selection of courses and prerequisites, and class schedules rests with the student.

Graduation - Degrees are conferred and diplomas are awarded at the end of each semester and summer term. Formal commencement exercises take place at the end of each Fall and Spring term. Diplomas are normally mailed to the student 4-6 weeks after the official graduation date barring any outstanding obligations to Concordia. Students graduating in the Summer term may participate in the commencement ceremony for the following Fall term.

Graduation Requirements

•   File an “Intent to Graduate Form” before the designated deadline.

•   Complete the designated credit hours as detailed in the curriculum, relevant to the individual’s degree program.

•   Attain the required cumulative GPA designated by the College in which the student is enrolled.

•   Complete residency requirements.

•   If entry was that of a freshman with less than 30 semester hours of credit, an official high school transcript indicating date of graduation must be on file in the Registrar’s Office. Transfer students or students with transfer credit also must have on file official transcripts from all colleges attended.

•   Complete payment of all fees and tuition due Concordia University Chicago.

•   Attain approval of the faculty. during their actual semesters of attendance; likewise, verification of enrollment only can be done for actual semesters in attendance.

Application for Graduation- Students planning to graduate must complete an “Intent to Graduate Form”. Failure to submit the form by this deadline will prevent consideration for graduation. A graduation fee will be assessed for each Intent to Graduate form submitted. The submission of the Intent to Graduate Form initiates the final degree audit, mailings for graduation, the diploma order, and the graduation fee. It also establishes the candidate list for faculty approval.

Summer Graduation Deadline: April 1st

Fall Graduation Deadline: April 1st

Spring Graduation Deadline: December 1st


Procedures for Student Academic Complaint and Grade Appeal

Classroom teaching and assigned independent study are instructional activities of the University and the supporting church body and as such as open to public scrutiny.

Appeal – If the problem cannot be resolved directly with the professor, the following route of appeal is to be followed: