Jennie Asher, MS
Director of Deaconess Program
Director of the Deaconess Program
Deaconess Asher teaches students courses in practical theology and spiritual care. Among her research interests are Theology of Mercy, Theology of the Cross, the role of women in the church and using technology in education.
Currently Deaconess Asher is working on her doctorate in instructional technology at Northern Illinois University. She has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 2005.
- CAS, theology and deaconess certification, Concordia University; River Forest, Ill.
- MS, special education, St. Cloud State University; St. Cloud, Minn.
- BS, special education, St. Cloud State University; St. Cloud, Minn.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- “The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Latvia: A Church of Mercy”, Mercy Works, 2007.
- "Fearfully and Wonderfully Made? A Theological Look at Eating Disorders,” Higher Things Youth Conference; Grand Rapids, Mich., July 2009
- "Our Want is to Serve,” International Diaconal Conference of Latin America and the Caribbean, May 2009.
- "God's Love – Filling and Overflowing," Women’s Leadership Conference, Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ghana; Kumasi, Ghana August 2008.
- Visiting Professor, "Deaconess Skills" course, Evangelical Lutheran Church of Panama, Deaconess Training Program, May 2008.
- “Can You Hear Me Now? Insights on Prayer,” Higher Things Youth Conference; Scranton, Penn., June 2008.
- “Lord, Hear our Prayer,” National Day of Prayer Rally, Immanuel Lutheran Church; Hinckley, Ill., May 2008.
- “Is There a Santa Claus? The Theology of the Cross in Perspective,” Higher Things Conferences; Minneapolis, Minn., July 2007.
- “Is There a Santa Claus? The Theology of the Cross in Perspective,” Higher Things Conferences; Asheville, N.C., July 2007.
- “Theology of the Cross,” Issues, etc. radio program, September 2007.
- “Christianity in Latvia,” Issues, etc. radio program, November 2007.