Andrew Steinmann, PhD
Distinguished Professor of Theology and Hebrew
Chair, Department of Theology and Foreign Languages
Dr. Steinmann teaches Hebrew I and II, Hebrew Readings, Readings in Hebrew, Introduction to the Old Testament, History of Israel, Wisdom Writings, The Pentateuch and The Psalms. His research interests are Hebrew, Aramaic languages, apocalyptic literature, wisdom literature and biblical chronology.
Throughout his career, Dr. Steinmann has written over 50 articles and book reviews that have been published in national and international journals. He also serves as a regular guest on the radio programs “Issues, Etc.” on KSIV in St. Louis and “The Bible Study” on KFUO in St. Louis, and has also been a guest on "Our World, His View" on WLQV-FM in Detroit and "Studio A" on KFUO in St. Louis. Dr. Steinmann is finishing work on Prepare the Way of the Lord: An Introduction to this Old Testament. This book is co-written with Dr. Reed Lessing of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, and will be a seminary-level textbook. He has also been assigned to write commentaries on 1 Samuel and 2 Samuel in the Concordia Commentary series. He has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 2000.
- PhD, Near Eastern Studies, University of Michigan; Ann Arbor, Mich.
- MDiv, Concordia Theological Seminary; Ft. Wayne, Ind.
- BSChE, chemical engineering, University of Cincinnati; Cincinnati, Ohio.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- From Abraham to Paul: A Biblical Chronology, 2011.
- Ezra and Nehemiah, Concordia Commentary, 2010
- Proverbs, Concordia Commentary, 2010.
- Intermediate Biblical Hebrew: A Reference Grammar with Charts and Exercises, 2010.
- Daniel, Concordia Commentary, 2008.
- Fundamental Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic Workbook, 2006.
- Biblical Aramaic, 2006.
- Called to be God’s People: An Introduction to the Old Testament, 2006.
- Fundamental Biblical Aramaic, 2004.
- Is God Listening? 2004.
- The Oracles of God, 1999.
- Member of the Translation Oversight Committee of the Holman Christian Standard Bible (2011-present)
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Catholic Biblical Association of America
- National Association of Professors of Hebrew
Concordia Publishing House has asked Dr. Steinmann to co-author, with Dr. Reed Lessing, a seminary-level Old Testament introduction. The work on this project began in early 2011.