Richard Fischer, DMA
Distinguished Professor of Music
College of Arts and Sciences
Director of Bands
Dr. Fischer is the conductor of the Wind Symphony and University Band at Concordia. He teaches basic and advanced conducting and introduction to music education. Heavily involved in the University, Dr. Fischer supervises student teachers, assists in recruitment of new students and helps current students on their musical conducting projects. He joined Concordia’s faculty in 1974.
In March 2013, Dr. Fischer was the recipient of Concordia University Chicago's first ever Endowed Chair marking an exceptional milestone for the 150 year-old university. The Fred and Jane Wittlinger Endowed Chair for Music Performance will allow Dr. Fischer to continue sharing his passion for music through teaching and conducting while also serving as a resource to the wider church and international community.
- DMA, conducting, Michigan State University; East Lansing, Mich.
- MM, music education, DePaul University; Chicago.
- BME, education; DePaul University; Chicago.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- Conductor, Wind Symphony tour to China, May 2009.
- Conductor, Wind Symphony tour to China, May 2005.
- Conductor, Wind Symphony tour to Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary and Slovakia, May 2001.
- Wind Symphony has toured to 43 states and Canada.
- Wind Symphony recorded 12 (soon to be 13) CDS of sacred wind music
- Conductor, Illinois All State Band
- College Band Directors National Association
- National Association for Music Education
- Illinois Association for Music Education
- National Band Association
- World Association for Symphonic Bands and Ensembles