Nancy Gibson, PhD
Associate Professor of Educational Leadership
College of Graduate and Innovative Programs
Dr. Gibson teaches graduate level courses including Supervision of Instruction and Instructional Leadership. She enjoys researching and is an expert on leadership theories, organizational development, change theories, superintendency, school law and curriculum, instruction and assessment.
Prior to serving Concordia, she was an adjunct professor at McKendree University and Illinois State University. In addition, she served as the superintendent for O’Fallon School District 90, Blue Ridge School District 18 and Olympia School District 16.
She has also served on the International Board of Directors, National co-chair of Education Advocacy Committee and Nominations Committee member for the ASCD in Alexandria, Va. Additionally, Dr. Gibson has served as past president and treasurer for the Illinois Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. She also served as a member of the Board of Directors of the O'Fallon Chamber of Commerce. Dr. Gibson has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 2010.
PhD, Education Administration. Illinois State University, Normal, Ill.
CAS, Elementary Education. University of Illinois, Champaign, Ill.
BS, Special Education. University of Illinois, Champaign, Ill.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- “Response to Intervention (RtI): Mandate or Opportunity? Historical Overview and RtI Models.” (with M. Trybus), Illinois Education Hot Topic, 2008.
- Leaders Who Dare: Pushing the Boundaries, (with D.E. Ashby, L.L. Lyman, and J.S. Tripses). Scarecrow Education: Lanham, Md., 2005.
- A State Mandated Initiative and the Role of the High School Principal as a Change Agent. UMI Dissertation Publishing: Ann Arbor, Mich., 1996.
- Illinois Quality Review. Preliminary Findings from a Survey of Local Schools, (with D.E. Ashby, P.J. Baker, N.P. Gibson, and W. Raw). Illinois State University: Normal, Ill., 1994.
- Listening Skills Handbook. Illinois State Board of Education: Springfield, Ill., 1981.
Awards & Honors
- O’Fallon Metro East NACCP Partnership in Justice Vision Education Fellowship.
- Educator Diversity Award, 2008.
- Creta Sabine Graduate Student Award, 1994.
- Sangamon County Outstanding CEC Special Educator Award, 1992.
- University of Illinois Scholastic Honorary Award.
- Pershing School Teacher Recognition Award.
- Illinois State University, Kappa Delta Pi
- Vision Education Fellowship, 1988.
- Kappa Delta Pi, University of Illinois Scholastic Honorary Award, 1982.