Jayme McGhan, MFA
College of Arts and Sciences
Technical Director of Artists of Concordia Theatre
Professor McGhan teaches students in the areas of speech communication, introduction to theatre, technical theatre and playwriting. As the Technical Director for all theatre productions and advisor for one act plays, he works closely with students in achieving their theatrical vision.
A professional playwright, director and set designer, Professor McGhan has worked on many productions across the country. He is also the author of 14 award-winning full-length plays as well as dozens of short plays. His work has been seen in numerous theatres across the country.
Before coming to Concordia, Professor McGhan taught theatre at Ridgewater College in MN where he also served as Technical Director and Program Head. He has also taught at Dakota State University and Southwest Minnesota State University. Professor McGhan has previously worked as a columnist for The Dramatist magazine and was the regional representative of The Dramatists Guild to the Twin Cities. He remains a board member of Yellow Tree Theatre in Minneapolis. Professor McGhan has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 2009.
- MFA, Playwriting, University of Nevada; Las Vegas, Nev.
- BA, Theatre Arts, emphasis in directing and acting, Southwest Minnesota State University; St. Marshall, Minn.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- Stage Left Theatre announced the upcoming World Premiere of Professor McGhan's "The Fisherman," which is the third production of Stage Left’s 30th season. Press opening is Feb. 25 at 8 p.m., and the show runs through April 1.
- The Sweet Stuff,” Taboo Theatre: Sex and Violence on Stage (John Wayne Shafer), 2009.
- “The Fisherman,” A More Perfect Ten (Gary Garrison), 2009.
- “The Rhythm of Blood,” The Hollow and Other Plays (M. Heather Carver and Kevin McFillen), 2008.
- The Methuselah Tree, 2007.
- Twin Cities columns, Dramatist Magazine, May 2007-June 2009.
Awards and Honors:
- Teaching Excellence, Ridgewater College, 2009.
- Golden Apple Teaching Award, Ridgewater College, 2008.
- Excellence in Playwriting, American College Theatre Festival, 2008.
- Excellence in Set Design, American College Theatre Festival, 2008.
- Publication Award, American College Theatre Festival, 2005.
- Short Play National Finalist, American College Theatre Festival, 2005.
- Graduate Student of the Year Award, UNLV, 2006.
For more information on Professor McGhan visit www.jaymemcghan.com