Admission & Financial Aid

Active Duty/Veterans

Thank you for your interest in Concordia University Chicago!

Concordia University Chicago is grateful for current service members and veterans and is supportive of those who would like to start or continue their education. Additionally, our Institute of Professional Studies offers programs which are specifically designed for non-traditional and adult students.

Multiple financial programs are available to assist veterans and their dependents in achieving a college education. The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides educational assistance to individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. One such program under The Post-9/11 GI Bill is the Yellow Ribbon program, in which Concordia-Chicago is a participating institution. Download a fact sheet about financial aid for active duty/veterans. 


Active Duty/Veteran Program FAQ:

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance is a military benefit that pays the cost of tuition and some fees. Who is eligible? Virtually all military service members are eligible. However each service branch determines its criteria for eligibility. What is the benefit? 

  • $250 per semester credit hour
  • $4500 per fiscal year
    *Navy has a 16 credit hour annual limit.

Tuition Assistance "Top-Up" Program

An additional benefit intended to supplement other tuition assistance programs. Who is eligible?To be eligible for the Top-up benefit, the person must be approved for federal Tuition Assistance by a military department and be eligible for MGIB-Active Duty benefits. What is the benefit? The amount of the benefit is limited to the amount that a person would receive for the same course if regular MGIB benefits were being paid. 

Post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides up to 36 months (4 regular school years) of education benefits to eligible service members and veterans for:

  • College, Business
  • Technical or Vocational Courses
  • Correspondence Courses
  • Apprenticeship/Job Training 

Who is eligible? Service members (Active Duty, Guard and Reserve) and Veterans who have served at least 90 days on active duty since 9/10/2001.

What's the benefit? 

  • Paid Tuition and Fees, Living (Housing) Stipend and Book Stipend.
  • Benefits are tiered based on number of days on active duty.
  • Some limitations apply to those currently on active duty.
  • Benefits can be transferred to Spouse or Family member. 

Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty & Veteran

MGIB provides up to 36 months (4 regular school years) of education benefits to eligible service members and veterans for:

  • College, Business
  • Technical or Vocational Courses
  • Correspondence Courses
  • Apprenticeship/Job Training

Who is eligible? Active Duty members who have served at least two years on active duty. Veterans - there are four categories of Veteran eligibility depending on when you enlisted and how long you served on active duty. What is the benefit? Up to $1368 per month for full-time institutional education. Benefits end 10 years from the date of your last discharge or release from active duty


Additional FAQ's:

What is the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

How Do I Apply for Benefits under Post-9/11 GI Bill?

The Department of Veterans Affairs is now accepting and processing applications for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. You should complete and submit the application form available online and will receive written notification explaining VA's decision regarding your eligibility for the program. If you are eligible, your Certificate of Eligibility will also advise you if your service meets the requirements for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Remember, to receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program:

  • You must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate of 100% under the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
  • The school must be a participant in the Yellow Program
  • The school must have not offered Yellow Ribbon to more than the maximum number of individuals stated in their participation agreement
  • The school must certify your enrollment to VA, including Yellow Ribbon program information.

Where can I find additional information about education benefits?

Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs web site.

What scholarships and or grants are available?

Utilize the Military Scholarship Finder, a scholarship search engine just for military students. You'll be able to search for a variety of scholarships and grants just for the military community. 

What is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

In addition to the VA benefits, current service members and veterans may also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for federal student financial aid, including grants, loans, and work-study programs. In addition, it is used by the state of Illinois and Concordia University Chicago to determine eligibility for need-based grants.

What am I required to submit to my school?

  • Copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the Veterans Administration
  • Copy of your DD-214
  • Change of Program Form (If recently attended another college or university)

The offices of Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid are committed to assisting Veterans who wish to continue their education. If you have additional questions feel free to contact your admission counselor or contact Aida Asencio-Pinto, Director of Financial Aid (708) 209-3492 or

Your VA & DoD Benefits