At Concordia University Chicago, we strive to prepare graduates interested in what can be highly theoretical disciplines to be creative problem solvers and thinkers that reach practical solutions to real-world challenges – whether they are researchers, teachers, programmers or engineers. Our liberal arts foundation provides communication skills that are essential to being effective in your career of choice.
Founded as a school for education, Concordia University Chicago continues its long tradition of preparing excellent teachers. If you are seeking an elementary education major, we offer courses leading to a math specialty and the Middle School Endorsement. You will take required math courses in combination with your education classes. If you are interested in teaching high school mathematics, we offer a fully accredited program leading to Illinois certification.
Mathematics majors at CUC have been very successful in gaining entrance to graduate programs at respected institutions such as:
- Michigan State University
- Northern Illinois University
- Southern Illinois University
- Iowa State University
- Columbia University
- Purdue University
- DePaul University
General Course Information
You may choose between a bachelor of arts (B.A.) or a bachelor of science (B.S.) degree.
- B.A.: Required courses that cover calculus, mathematical proofs, algebra and complex analysis. This degree track allows you to choose from many math courses. You can even select a computer information systems course.
- B.S.: Designed for students considering graduate school in mathematics, or who want to connect their interest in mathematics with another discipline such as accounting or the natural sciences. Through this track you will choose a specialization from natural science, pure mathematics, computer science or actuarial science.
Since mathematics complements many other disciplines, many students choose to minor in mathematics.
For details about required courses and course descriptions, please visit our online catalog.
Many of our graduates are teaching at schools around the country, including Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. CUC also offers math students a wide array of study-abroad opportunities. Recent student experiences have included student teaching at the International School in Shanghai, China and studying advanced mathematics in Budapest, Hungary.
For more information about Mathematics at CUC, please contact Dr. Mary Goetting at firstname.lastname@example.org.